Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5)

I’m using Apple's iPad Pro 10.5, which I upgraded into iOS 12 now.

On iOS 11 I used Apple's Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader to transfer mp4 videos and photos from SD Card into iPad. Images and photos were taken by Sony camera. Everything worked smooth and fine until I upgraded iPad iOS into version 12. iOS doesn’t show videos anymore. I can import photos, but I¨m unable to import mp4 videos.

Any solution available?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 8:16 AM

26 replies

Oct 10, 2018 5:06 AM in response to U24

I contacted Apple by phone, I reported the issue and we did some diagnostic etc. They have opened support ticket about this issue and promised to call back after investigating the diagnostics data.

If you have the same issue, please use Apple's feedback formula to report this issue, so they fix it faster.

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Below is the screenshot from my old iPhone 5, which has iOS 10 (10.3.3 14G60). I have one video and one photo on my SD Card, which both are shown on iOS Photos Import screen.

User uploaded file

Below is the screenshot from my iPad with iOS 2 (12.0.1 16A404) and it's sowing only image for importing. Video is missing on iOS Photos Import screen.

User uploaded file

It's definitely iOS 12 bug, caused by iOS 12, which does not scan folder MP_ROOT as iOS 11 and older versions do.

If I connect Alpha a6000 camera with Apple's Lightning-USB 3 Camera adapter with MTP enabled on camera, I'm even able to import not only regular MP4 format video files but XAVC S video format files too and use them on iMovie. The only drawback is slow USB connection, as it does not support USB3 transfer speed. USB2 is too slow for video files. I bought new iPad Pro 10.5 especially for video editing because of USB3 transfer speed and better performance. At the moment on iOS 12 iPad renders almost useless for video editing, as I'm unable to import fast videos from SD Card.

I'm not the only person having this issue and this for sure affects everyone who uses iPad for fast video editing.

Nov 12, 2018 8:47 AM in response to U24

Below is screenshot of content of SD card and video files copied into DCM folder from same SD card. If files are in DCM folder, they are scanned and accepted. If I copy XAVC S video file into DCIM folder and rename it something like MAH*****.MP4, file is accepted too and can be used in iMove etc. iOS 12 doesn't scan MP_ROOT folder anymore, as earlier versions of iOS did.

User uploaded file

Oct 12, 2018 12:25 PM in response to ahdansky

Thank you ahdansky for replying!

Just for curiosity, which camera you are using and into which folder your videos are recorded by camera?

I'm using Sony camera, which records MP4 videos into MP_ROOT folder on SD Card.

I have contacted Apple Support and they are investigating this issue, I also sent to them an e-mail with more detailed explanations and screenshots.

Also, please use Feedback - iPad - Apple to report about the issue!

Nov 12, 2018 10:53 AM in response to lowd3r

Yes, there is issue that files aren't visible by iOS 12. And it's already described above, so I'm not going to explain it all again.

Sony's XAVC supports color depths of 8, 10, and 12 bits and chroma subsampling can be 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or 4:4:4. So it depends which XAVC format is used. XAVC S is 8 bits / 4:2:0 and is supported by iOS 12.

Re: iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5)

Nov 11, 2018 5:41 AM in response to U24

There are few temporary workaround options available:

• RAVPower 64GB iPhone Flash Drive 2 in 1 SD Card Reader
  • Lexar microSD to Lightning Reader - LRWMLBNL

With these devices you are able to read Micro SD or SD cards. Lexar's model is smaller, but reads only Micro SD cards, RAVPower's model is bigger, but you can read both, Micro SD (adapter needed) or SD cards.

Oct 7, 2018 1:02 AM in response to U24

Talked to an apple support agent yesterday. She acknowledged the fact that it was a iOS12 related issue after I was able to demonstrate the import problem on two devices with iOS11 and iOS12 respectively. However, it sounds like they have to collect more complaints before escalating the issue for a fix. Contact them to complian if you could. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2018 1:07 AM in response to BORg529

BORg529: "What if you use iTunes to transfer mp4 videos to your ipad pro? I know another inconvieniance, but only suggestion."

I don't understand what you are trying to suggest? I'm using Apple's Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader to view and copy selected files from SD Card (images and videos recorded by camera) to my iPad. Everything worked fine, but when I upgraded iOS to version 12, no videos shown anymore on Import screen. What it has to do with iTunes on iPad?

Oct 9, 2018 8:29 AM in response to U24

I did some investigation.

iOS 12 does not scan folder MP_ROOT as iOS 11 did it. I copied subfolder 100ANV01with video files from MP_ROOT into DCIM folder on SD Card and voila, video appeared on iPad's Import screen.

So the issue is caused by iOS 12, which does not scan MP_ROOT folder anymore.

Oct 12, 2018 10:46 PM in response to BORg529

Thank you BORg529! I guess it's solution for those who have computer with them or doing it at home. It's not suitable solution for me, as I'm using iPad for video editing on the field. I don't have any computer with me and I bought iPad 10.5 especially for video editing on the field.

Btw, which camera you are using?

Oct 14, 2018 4:07 PM in response to U24

The SD card folders are organized as:

MP-ROOT

100ANV01

mp4 videos

DCIM

100MSDCF

jpg stills

My camera SONY HX80 can communicate wirelessly with my iPhone (using ios12)

using the Sony app PlayMemories so this a workaround instead of using the SD card.

The sharing thru the cloud will send the photos and videos to my iPad which is my main

repository for my photos and videos.

Oct 15, 2018 12:21 AM in response to ahdansky

Great, thank you ahdansky!

It confirms my result, that Apple's Photos Import module doesn't scan MP_ROOT folder anymore.

I suspect that you made a tiny typo on writing MP-ROOT and the actual name is MP_ROOT, as I haven't seen any Sony camera creating MP-ROOT folder, but they create MP_ROOT folder for MP4 videos.

Thank you! Your input was useful!

Oct 17, 2018 10:55 AM in response to U24

I'm specifically having issues importing 10bit, 60fps video files via the reader on IOS12. I had zero issues on IOS11. It can see the file but it will not allow me to import it.

It's confirmed if you use a third party adapter with software it will work. This is definitely an issue on apples end. Like others have stated I use this on the field for quick things.

Nov 7, 2018 1:48 PM in response to U24

We have the same problem.

We went on holidays just after updating our iPads to IOS 12 and were shocked to find we couldn't download our mp4 holiday video clips from our Sony a6300 camera as we could previously. This certainly took a lot of the gloss off our holiday and many hours were wasted trying to resolve the issue.

Apple must have disappointed thousands by reducing the effectiveness of IOS 12 for Sony camera users!

iOS 12 doesn’t show mp4 videos on SD Card on Import (iPad Pro 10.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.