Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod "this accessory is not responding" in home app

Hi,

I have a HomePod in my living room which I've set up according to the instructions. However, after the setup, the HomePod can't connect to the Home app. As in, it shows up there after it's been setup, but when you tap on the accessory, the error appears "This accessory is not responding".

I have the HomePod since June and I haven't been able to connect to the HomePod from the Home app. After resetting it to its factory settings multiple times, removing it as an accessory, and removing/reinstalling the Home app altogether, the problem persisted and persists until this day.

I was hoping with iOS 12 this problem would be fixed, but no such luck. I wanted to update the HomePod software as well, but of course the only way to do this is through the Home app.

I recently moved abroad which leaves me unable to get in touch with Apple support about this, since the HomePod isn't sold in my current country.

Anyone experience this or gotten Apple to help them fix the problem?

Sincerely,

- Arthur

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 11:35 PM

How strange! From my experience you should still receive support for your HomePod regardless of it's current location 🙂. During setup, are you using the same device you are having issues with to activate?

Have you attempted to wipe your Home environment and go from there ? - Delete an accessory or home

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 8, 2018 9:21 AM in response to art.julian

If your router supports multiple wireless bands you might find it works better if you use only 2.4GHz. If it has features for wireless isolation or guest mode you may find it works better with those features turned off. At the very least make sure that your iDevice used to set up the HomePod only knows the login information for one service on your router that isn't isolated so that devices on your network can talk to each other, and won't hunt between channels.

tt2

Oct 13, 2018 2:47 AM in response to turingtest2

This was a really good suggestion, since I still had a legacy router setup with two separate Wifi signals. Looking at the router settings, it didn't even see my HomePod, but was showing all my other devices (it was still playing music though 🤔).

Unfortunately, after resetting the router to only support one bandwidth, the problem still persists. Siri on HomePod tells me that there's a problem with my iCloud settings and to check the Home app, while the Home app tells me that "this accessory is not responding". The HomePod did show up as a device on my router though, so that's better now.

HomePod "this accessory is not responding" in home app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.