Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Sync Fails to Start in iTunes

iPhone SE running iOS 12.0

iMac running Mac OS 10.13.6 and iTunes 12.6.2.20

When I connect the phone by cable, it shows up in iTunes. When I hit "Sync", it tries to start syncing but the sync never starts - I get the message: "The iPhone could not be synced because the session failed to start"

The iPhone synced fine prior to the iOS 12 update. This is my first attempt at syncing running iOS 12. I have an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12 and it syncs fine on the same Mac / same iTunes

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 7:51 PM

In case anyone's interested, I fixed this problem by re-starting the iMac in Safe Mode, then re-starting the iMac in normal mode. There must have been some iTunes specific system file corrupted which Safe Mode deleted and it was automatically replace with an uncorrupted file. I don't pretend to know what really happened, but it synced normally after doing that

Prior to doing the above, the iPhone wouldn't sync to the computer in iTunes whether I was using the USB cable or trying to sync over WiFi. A normal restart of the iPhone and iMac alone didn't fix it.

Note - to boot up in Safe Boot Mode: Press Shift during startup -- start up in Safe Boot mode and temporarily disable login items and non-essential kernel extension files (Mac OS X 10.2 and later)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2018 7:51 PM in response to pgoodwin

In case anyone's interested, I fixed this problem by re-starting the iMac in Safe Mode, then re-starting the iMac in normal mode. There must have been some iTunes specific system file corrupted which Safe Mode deleted and it was automatically replace with an uncorrupted file. I don't pretend to know what really happened, but it synced normally after doing that

Prior to doing the above, the iPhone wouldn't sync to the computer in iTunes whether I was using the USB cable or trying to sync over WiFi. A normal restart of the iPhone and iMac alone didn't fix it.

Note - to boot up in Safe Boot Mode: Press Shift during startup -- start up in Safe Boot mode and temporarily disable login items and non-essential kernel extension files (Mac OS X 10.2 and later)

iPhone Sync Fails to Start in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.