Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying wifi connection handling

ever since ios updated to 11.x and ios 12, my iphone 6 has been very troublesome handling wifi connections. On the quick access menu, the wifi icon now has 3 possible states (compared to two before): off, on (blue) or white, where iphone will try to connect to a network when in range. The only way to get to off state is via the settings icon. When from quick access menu, trying to switch off from blue it only goes to white. The problem is that the iphone had been connecting to random networks when im walking the street and often I can see that the wifi icon is actually connected though the internet doesnt work. In fact usually i notice this because im trying to access internet on my data plan and it‘s not working. So not only is it a potential security issue but it’s quite annoying as well when the internet stops working.

So now when im not on my home or work wifi i have to manually disable wifi through settings. I’m aware of the “Ask to join network” toggle and this only makes the problem more annoying as it asks to join a network every shop or house you walk past.

Hard to believe the richest company (or one of) on earth treats its customers in this way (likely last apple product). Please resolve this problem. Thanks

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 9:24 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 8, 2018 9:33 AM in response to AAhippos

If you're phone is connecting to random WiFi networks that you have never connected to before, you have a bigger problem than Apple's changes in the Control Center. Your phone should only connect to known networks. I'd suggest that you reset your network settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

One of the points of the change is so that you can quickly disconnect from a WiFi network using the Control Center without turning off WiFi (as WiFi is used by a number of other functions).

If you want to turn WiFi off, you can also use Siri.

Oct 8, 2018 10:11 AM in response to AAhippos

If your phone is working properly, you shouldn't ever need to turn WiFi off (unless use of WiFi is prohibited in a particular place).

The fact that you can see a WiFi network listed in Settings>WiFi doesn't mean your phone is connecting to it, only that your phone is aware that the network is there. The WiFi network symbol will also be visible even if you're not connected to a network. WiFi is used by, among other things, your phone's location services. They use WiFi to help determine location but don't require connection to a specific network to do that.

Annoying wifi connection handling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.