Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro 2015 Memory or Storage Issue

I get warnings about not having enough memory on mac book pro bought 2015. I hardly use it because of that. It's going to be my main device since my iMac (2010) can't be updated mac OS Mojave. Macintosh HD is only 121 GB (? Really ?? wow): User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), Mine

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 11:52 AM

Ok, let's get some stuff clarified: Memory is usually referred to as RAM which does not use/have any "space".Your hard drive is also your storage. Aside from storing data, it also contains the Mac OS, all apps, and is the thing that makes your computer run/work. It needs space to do its work and you should always have at least 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times.

The easiest to eliminate are videos, movies, photos, etc - get an external hard drive and copy over all the space hogging files, then delete them from your internal drive.

It also appears that you back up your iOS devices to the computer - that is great, but it seems to be taking up about half of the used space on your hard drive, so you must have a lot of stuff on your devices. One way to change that would be to back up your iOS stuff to iCloud (purchase storage there), that would gain you some more breathing room.

So, right now, your first screenshot shows you only have 30+ GB available on your drive; I'd suggest eliminating at least 50 - 60 GB so you'd have a minimum of 80 -90 GB available.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2018 11:52 AM in response to PookiesGold

Ok, let's get some stuff clarified: Memory is usually referred to as RAM which does not use/have any "space".Your hard drive is also your storage. Aside from storing data, it also contains the Mac OS, all apps, and is the thing that makes your computer run/work. It needs space to do its work and you should always have at least 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times.

The easiest to eliminate are videos, movies, photos, etc - get an external hard drive and copy over all the space hogging files, then delete them from your internal drive.

It also appears that you back up your iOS devices to the computer - that is great, but it seems to be taking up about half of the used space on your hard drive, so you must have a lot of stuff on your devices. One way to change that would be to back up your iOS stuff to iCloud (purchase storage there), that would gain you some more breathing room.

So, right now, your first screenshot shows you only have 30+ GB available on your drive; I'd suggest eliminating at least 50 - 60 GB so you'd have a minimum of 80 -90 GB available.

Oct 8, 2018 2:42 PM in response to PookiesGold

It's very hard to determine what your question is.

PookiesGold wrote:

I get warnings about not having enough memory on mac book pro bought 2015.

What is the scenario leading to these warnings? What are you doing exactly?

PookiesGold wrote:

Macintosh HD is only 121 GB (? Really ?? wow):

No, the HD is actually 128GB. But some of that space is not available to you.

Yet it's impossible to see what this has to do with your memory issue. Then there's your post's title -- it doesn't look like you have a storage issue, unless you're referring to the (unrelated to the memory issue) 121GB question.

Oct 12, 2018 5:17 PM in response to sberman

Sorry for confusion. I guess I need to delete stuff but I don't know what to delete. Bought it for travel-too small hard on eyes. Don't know where memory/space/storage went because I don't use it at all. I turn it on to update-- It's going to be my main Mac since I can no longer update my 21 inch screen iMac (too old- 2010 model). So, what can I do to free up space so I can update to iOS 12?

Oct 12, 2018 5:38 PM in response to PookiesGold

Wow, this latest post is even more confusing than the first one!

PookiesGold wrote:

So, what can I do to free up space so I can update to iOS 12?

"Free up space"? I cannot imagine what you have in mind where 121GB free is not sufficient, or even the 30+GB your initial screen shot shows!!

"... update to iOS 12?" A Mac cannot run iOS 12, or any version of iOS. Macs run MacOS. iOS runs on iPhones, iPads, iPods.

Mac Book Pro 2015 Memory or Storage Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.