Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings crashes in iOS 12

Hello Everyone,

I have an iPhone 7 (128GB) that I have been using since end of 2016.

The iPhone is running just fine, no complaints except of the below issue.

The only issue I have has appeared after updating to iOS 12 (and the issue continued with iOS 12.0.1) where the settings app crashes whenever I touch the <Passwords and Accounts> section.

I am not able to change or add any internet accounts natively without a 3rd part app managing that account, I can't edit my currently configured emails from the <Passwords and Accounts> part of Settings since I can't even open it.

The Mail app opens normally though.

I tried to hard reset the iPhone, reset network settings, delete the mail app .... all of that didn't help and the issue remains.

I didn't reset all contents since I need my data.

Any one else is having a similar issue ? Any solution to this ?

iPhone 7, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 11:57 PM

Did you already try to create an encrypted backup in iTunes on your computer and set the phone back to factory settings after that, to make sure the issue is not software related?After that, test the phone without the backup data, in case damaged data inside the backup is causing the problem.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 11:57 PM in response to luay1985

Did you already try to create an encrypted backup in iTunes on your computer and set the phone back to factory settings after that, to make sure the issue is not software related?After that, test the phone without the backup data, in case damaged data inside the backup is causing the problem.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings

Oct 22, 2018 2:53 AM in response to luay1985

I have this same exact problem too on all my iOS devices: iphone X, iphone 7 Plus, iPad Mini 4, and iPad Air 2. I've tried the following on the various devices:

• Hard reset...doesn't work
  • Full encrypted backup, then restore backup...doesn't work
  • Wiped the iPad completely and set it up as a brand new device with no icloud or itunes backup. I'm able to get into <Passwords & Accounts>. Then I login to iCloud, boom, <Passwords & Accounts> crashes.
  • Tried turning logging out of all iOS devices and then accessing <Password & Accounts>...crashes
  • Deleted mail app. Reinstalled mail app, open it, asks to add accounts. Try to add one of my accounts back, gives me error and said account already exist...still can't access <Password & Accounts> and now one of my iOS devices no longer has email.

I've come to the conclusion it's some errant data stuck in the iCloud that's causing the problem.

Oct 9, 2018 2:20 AM in response to Ingo2711

I try to take an iTunes full backup, reset my iPhone then restore the iPhone backup and see if it works, however that's a pain in the butt, since it will take like 6 hours to complete ... I have around 50 GB in my iPhone to backup and restore.

I know that this issue is related to something I had in my account configurations, since all my friends who have iPhone 7 or 8 with iOS 12 aren't having this issue.

Any other suggestion ?

Settings crashes in iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.