Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage / text issues

my husband daughter and I all have a brand new iPhone 8, all with the same cell provider. My daughter and I share the same appleID,my husband had his own. My family Sharing is on for apps and music with my daughter.

when My husband texts or iMessages our daughter, it comes to me. And sometimes when he imessagesme it goes to our daughter. Our contacts are not linked. It only happens from his phone to me and our daughter.

My husband is super frustrated. And I don’t know how to fix it. Can someone help us out??

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:22 AM

This is a result of sharing an Apple ID. It is new and intentional behavior in iOS 12. You will have to set up separate Apple ID for your daughter. You can keep yours. You can sheare purchased content via Family Sharing.

Family Sharing - Apple

Read this for how you can go about fixing your problem.

ios 12 imessage streamlining

After you set up separate ID's for everyone, you may have to remove/delete the corrupted text threads a couple of time and you may need to recreate new contacts for your husband and daughter.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 10:22 AM in response to kari-lynn50

This is a result of sharing an Apple ID. It is new and intentional behavior in iOS 12. You will have to set up separate Apple ID for your daughter. You can keep yours. You can sheare purchased content via Family Sharing.

Family Sharing - Apple

Read this for how you can go about fixing your problem.

ios 12 imessage streamlining

After you set up separate ID's for everyone, you may have to remove/delete the corrupted text threads a couple of time and you may need to recreate new contacts for your husband and daughter.

Oct 9, 2018 10:25 AM in response to kari-lynn50

You and your daughter should not be sharing an Apple ID. That is what Family Sharing is for, and you can create a separate Apple ID for her. While it may work and may not, one way to work around that issue is to go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive, on your two phones and make sure that only the individual phone number for each device is selected. Also check Text Message Forwarding, and make sure it is off, unless you use an iPad, and make sure that is the only device listed there. While that used to work, no guarantee it still will. Best solution is to create a new Apple ID for your daughter.

iMessage / text issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.