Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected is greyed out and iTunes won't auto-launch when connected

Hi. Since I changed my laptop a few weeks ago and moved my iTunes library from the old one to the new one following one of the tutorials on this site, my iPhone 6S with iOS 11 (12 since yesterday) and iTunes 12.9.0.167 installed on a PC with windows 10 pro x64 won't autolaunch iTnes when I connect it (which it always used to do on all my previous computers). Also, the "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" option in iTunes is greyed out, so I can't select it. Any way I can sort this out so iTunes will auto-launch when I connect my iPhone to the PC?

Many thanks

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 12:26 PM

... Otherwise if these three folders don't exist on your system creating them may allow iTunes to save its preferences properly.

See also Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. A full tear down followed by reinstalling as the administrator might help.

tt2

8 replies

Oct 25, 2018 10:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi again, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have finally followed your very complete and detailed tutprial to uninstall and reinstall iTunes from scratch. Imagine how weird things were that I didn't have any of the programmes or folders mentioned in it (yes, funily enough, iTunes did not appear in the list of installed programmes in Control Panel, nor did iCloud, Bonjour or any others, but iTunes did work as a music player) ¿¿??

Anyhow, now I have everything in order and would like to copy all my music etc back to iTunes. Should I follow the instructions in the Apple forum for this (press the shift key while launching iTunes and sellect the library as detailed here Back up and restore your iTunes Library - Apple Support)? If so, should I overwrite the existing iTunes folder in the Music folder (the one created while reinstalling the programme)?

Again, many thanks for all your time and help.

Cheers

Oct 25, 2018 11:27 PM in response to lovedj1

I really must add in something about removing the Microsoft Store version of iTunes in that tip.

As a rule uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't affect the library, however the steps I gave in my first post might make iTunes forget where to look for the library if it is in a non-standard location. If you're not seeing the expected content see Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash or restore your library as appropriate.

tt2

Oct 9, 2018 1:42 PM in response to lovedj1

In the past the symptoms you describe might have been fixed by resetting the iTunesPrefs.xml file. iTunes 12.5.1.21 introduced a change with the way preferences are saved. It seems that what used to be stored in:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml

is now stored in a number of files spread amongst these folders:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Cookies

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\ByHost

If preferences aren't being saved then try right-clicking the iTunes shortcut and using Run as administrator. Doing this once may resolve things. Otherwise try holding down Ctrl+Shift as you start iTunes to launch it in its own safe mode which again may sometimes help. Otherwise if these three folders don't exist on your system creating them may allow iTunes to save its preferences properly. Alternatively deleting those that you do have may allow them to be recreated with the right permissions so that changes are stored in future. Obviously you will need to check of your other settings in iTunes after making this change.

Type %appdata%<return> in Explorer's address bar to reach the Roaming folder without having to display hidden folders.

tt2

Oct 10, 2018 12:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2, and many thanks for such prompt and detailed reply, and for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

For starters, I have no Apple Computer folder in "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming".

I have also tried launching the programme by right clicking the shortcut icon and launching as administrator and all that does is open a "Restrictions" window on iTunes, but it doesn't actually launch the programme itself.

And not having any Apple Computer folder in there, I wonder whether creating the folders would actually do anything.

Finally, I have tried launching iTunes while also pressing Control + Shift and it does the same thing, it opens the "restrictions" window.

Any other ideas or options?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2018 11:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes, but in my case, in order to start with a clean install and avoid any potential mishaps, I decided to move the entire iTunes folder into an external drive, so now I have a new iTunes folder which is empty of content (except for whatever iTunes puts in there during installation) and was wondering if I should rebuild the entire library from scratch or if it would be OK to replace the existing folder with the one I have in my external HD. Can I simply replace it? Thanks

Oct 26, 2018 1:06 AM in response to lovedj1

EDIT: In the end, I did overwrite the new iTunes folder with the backed up one and that solved my problem. The only thing is that iTunes now sais that my iPhone has never been backed up to this computer, so I guess the previous backups that should have been kept in the iTunes folder have gotten lost. But I don't think that's important.

Many thanks for all your time and help, much appreciated.

Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected is greyed out and iTunes won't auto-launch when connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.