Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer vs Volume

Apple recently changed my phone and since then I can’t adjust my Ringer volume to a higher setting than the Volume setting. When I change the volume, it changes the setting for both Ringer and Volume. Don‘t know why but I can’t seem to find the setting that allows the Ringer and the Volume to be at two different volume levels. Before I had the Ringer set at a higher level, and Volume set at a lower level for apps, video’s, music etc.

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2018 7:05 PM

Hello 8Scott8,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to independently control the volume of the ringer and alerts and the volume of music on your iPhone. To do this, please go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, adjust the Ringer and Alerts volume, and then turn off the Change with Buttons option. This will let you change the volume of music with the buttons on side of your iPhone, but keep the ringer volume at the level you set. Here is more info on this:

Adjust the volume on iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2018 7:05 PM in response to 8Scott8

Hello 8Scott8,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to independently control the volume of the ringer and alerts and the volume of music on your iPhone. To do this, please go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, adjust the Ringer and Alerts volume, and then turn off the Change with Buttons option. This will let you change the volume of music with the buttons on side of your iPhone, but keep the ringer volume at the level you set. Here is more info on this:

Adjust the volume on iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2018 7:05 PM in response to chris_g1

Hey chris_g1

Thank you so much for your reply. I am so very sorry I took so long to say thank you. Reason being is I have been travelling and dealing with a sick family member. But your answer was helpful and solved my problem. The only thing I am confused about is, did Apple recently change these volume settings in a recent update? Before on my home screen I could use the buttons on the side to adjust the ringer volume. I had to open an app with sound (like a game, YouTube, video etc.) to adjust the sound volume. Now I can't adjust the ringer volume using the buttons on the side when on the home screen. I'm not worried, as I no longer have to make mistakes adjusting both using the buttons, so it turns out better anyway once you have the ringer volume set, and use the buttons for the other volume.

Thanks again.

Ringer vs Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.