Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download iMovie for El Capitan

I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro which is only compatible with El Capitan, evidently. I need to download iMovie but the app store is telling me that the current iMovie, which it wants to download by default, is not compatible with my OS. Where can I download the latest version of iMovie which is compatible with El Capitan? Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 4:33 PM

There may be a couple of options. Don't know if they will work. There may be some issues with you not having bought the computer under your Apple ID.

1. You can download iMovie 9.0.9 and from there upgrade to iMovie 10 from the App store, and you should get the latest version of iMovie that will run on El Capitan. You can download iMovie 9.0.9 at this link:

Download iMovie 9.0.9

2. Another possibility requires your friend's cooperation. Again, I don't know if it will work. If he/she will put his version of iMovie in the trash, but not empty the trash, and then, on your computer, sign into the App store with his/her applie ID , then you can try to download iMovie onto your computer. Afterwards your friend can remove from the trash her/her iMovie folder and replace it in the Applications folder.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 4:33 PM in response to FreedomFredUSA

There may be a couple of options. Don't know if they will work. There may be some issues with you not having bought the computer under your Apple ID.

1. You can download iMovie 9.0.9 and from there upgrade to iMovie 10 from the App store, and you should get the latest version of iMovie that will run on El Capitan. You can download iMovie 9.0.9 at this link:

Download iMovie 9.0.9

2. Another possibility requires your friend's cooperation. Again, I don't know if it will work. If he/she will put his version of iMovie in the trash, but not empty the trash, and then, on your computer, sign into the App store with his/her applie ID , then you can try to download iMovie onto your computer. Afterwards your friend can remove from the trash her/her iMovie folder and replace it in the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Oct 17, 2018 8:39 AM in response to FreedomFredUSA

Sorry. I meant what version of iMovie is currently on your Mac. Or do you not have iMovie at all? If you had previously downloaded an older version of iMovie then the download prompt that you receive from the App store would include a note that you can download the "latest compatible" iMovie version that will run on your operating system. Since you didn't receive that prompt you probably don't have an iMovie version -- is that right?

The most current version of iMovie that El Capitan will run is version iMovie 10.1.6. As you have said, you won't find that by searching the App store. I don't have a link for iMovie 10.1.6 and haven't been able to find a source for one.

Is your 2009 Mac a used computer from a friend or relative?

-- Rich

Oct 17, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Thank you for your Speedy reply. I do not have iMovie on my computer at all. I wanted to download it. Yes I just got this computer from a friend of mine. Sure wish I could afford a new one but I can't because I served in the military twice, was injured on active duty and the VA it's basically turned their back on me for a couple decades.

Oct 18, 2018 7:23 PM in response to FreedomFredUSA

Mea culpa. I did not realize that the link was for an iMovie 9 update.

If you Google iLife '11 Amazon or iLife '11 e-bay you will be able to buy the iLife package that contains iMovie 9. Then you update it to iMovie 9.0.9 and from there update to iMovie 10.

Here's an e-bay link:

Apple iLife '11 - 1 User (Retail) (1 User/s) - Full Version for Mac 1725442000 | eBay

-- Rich

Download iMovie for El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.