Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound output from AppleTV 4K

My AppleTV 4K is connect to my Samsung 9 Series 4K TV. It is connected directly to the TV via an HDMI 4K cable. The TV is connected to my receiver via an Optical cable. Until today, I had no problem with sound or picture.

Today, the sound stopped working. i noticed my AppleTV had a software update when it started it ( I don't use it that often). I have tried the following:

• power cycled everything and in multiple combinations. Same with unplugging and replugging cables
  • I changed the audio back to use the standard TV speakers as well. no luck
  • reset the AppleTV.
  • tried different format including 1080p SDR. It is currently set at 4K SDR

I am not sure what else to try short of taking device to Apple store.

thanks!

VK

Apple TV 4K, iOS 12.0.1, No sound

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 7:49 PM

Ever since the tvOS 12 update, luckily I haven’t lost audio, but some of the audio output from my iTunes movies aren’t playing their “best available” audio tracks.

Before the update everything was working fine, but after, especially when 12.1.1 was released, most of my Marvel movies, which usually play in 7.1 PCM, play the lesser 5.1 track. Luckily my receiver can matrix my SBL and SBR to mimic discrete 7.1. So it’s not too big of a deal, but still, not getting what I paid for.

Also, some movies that have have Dolby Atmos and 5.1 DD tracks, my receiver will will receive a discreet 7.1 signal on the display, but only 5.1 discrete plays. Which normally, before the latest updates, would play 5.1PCM+IIx+MV.

In those cases, turning quick start off, fixes that. However, if I play a movie with 7.1 PCM that’s working correctly, having quick start off, the audio track is the lesser 5.1 PCM+IIx+MV.

So, there’s obviously a major audio software bug within tvOS 12 to 12.1.1.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2018 7:49 PM in response to bdh334

Ever since the tvOS 12 update, luckily I haven’t lost audio, but some of the audio output from my iTunes movies aren’t playing their “best available” audio tracks.

Before the update everything was working fine, but after, especially when 12.1.1 was released, most of my Marvel movies, which usually play in 7.1 PCM, play the lesser 5.1 track. Luckily my receiver can matrix my SBL and SBR to mimic discrete 7.1. So it’s not too big of a deal, but still, not getting what I paid for.

Also, some movies that have have Dolby Atmos and 5.1 DD tracks, my receiver will will receive a discreet 7.1 signal on the display, but only 5.1 discrete plays. Which normally, before the latest updates, would play 5.1PCM+IIx+MV.

In those cases, turning quick start off, fixes that. However, if I play a movie with 7.1 PCM that’s working correctly, having quick start off, the audio track is the lesser 5.1 PCM+IIx+MV.

So, there’s obviously a major audio software bug within tvOS 12 to 12.1.1.

Oct 17, 2018 6:23 AM in response to veenodfromNL

Did you recently update to tvOS 12? If so, many of us lost audio on older equipment after the update. I have an Onkyo receiver and the audio worked fine with tvOS 11.4, but after the update for Dolby Atmos support with tvOS 12 I lost audio through my receiver. I have been trying to work with Apple on this but so far they have not been much help.

Nov 18, 2018 1:56 AM in response to veenodfromNL

I've had the same problem for six months.

My Apple TV 4k is connected by HDMI 2.1 cable to an Optoma UHD65 in 4k HDR mode and there is no audio, to get the audio I have to set it to 4k SDR.

If on the Otoma UHD65 instead connect the dvd player uhd 4k hdr Panasonic DMP UB900 using the same HDMI cable everything works perfectly.

A few days ago I bought a second Apple TV 4k but even with this I have the same problem, which means that there is not a hardware defect but a design problem or a software problem.

Unfortunately I do not see solutions !!

No sound output from AppleTV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.