Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching in Mojave Mail.app not working

Hi,

It looks like searching in Mail.app is not working correctly for me.

At least not like it was in High Sierra.

Even if I have a message open and search for the sender the search results will not show me the message.

I have tried deleting the Envelope Index files in the Maildata folder and letting Mail re-import the messages.

I have disabled the accounts and redownloaded all messages.

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas ?

Paul

iMac, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 11:11 AM

Hi Mads,

You need to do this in a Terminal.app window:

Start Terminal.app

Disable spotlight and remove the index by typing: sudo mdutil -i off -E / <return>

This should give a message about indexing being disabled.
Now enable it again by typing: sudo mdutil -i on / <return>

You can check it's enabled by typing : sudo mdutil -s / <return>

That should give a message like:

/:

Indexing enabled.

Now it's just a matter of giving spotlight enough time to rebuild the indexes and when it's done searching in mail.app should work again ( at least for me these steps fixed it).

Paul

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2018 11:11 AM in response to mads ingemann

Hi Mads,

You need to do this in a Terminal.app window:

Start Terminal.app

Disable spotlight and remove the index by typing: sudo mdutil -i off -E / <return>

This should give a message about indexing being disabled.
Now enable it again by typing: sudo mdutil -i on / <return>

You can check it's enabled by typing : sudo mdutil -s / <return>

That should give a message like:

/:

Indexing enabled.

Now it's just a matter of giving spotlight enough time to rebuild the indexes and when it's done searching in mail.app should work again ( at least for me these steps fixed it).

Paul

Oct 22, 2018 8:06 AM in response to paulz42

Hi

I have tried all off the above , ioncluding rebuiliding ,reinstallig Mojave, removing the envelops from library , in fact i think i have tried everything ....Any suggestions would be really appreciated , also as well as search not working my flagged messages are blank as well as my samrt mailboxes are empty. My flagged messages still are there because when i click show by :flagged they are all there in order but not in the flagged folder on left...

regards

Nov 10, 2018 9:32 AM in response to wobbles01

I have also been trying to solve this issue since I upgraded to Mojave, when both Spotlight and Mail searches stopped working. I've tried all the suggestions noted in a number of these fora, and have also been working with AppleCare, who have escalated my case up several levels.

Strangely enough a few days ago Spotlight appears to be working again after having forced a re-indexing about a week prior. However, Mail searches are still not working, and in fact the "Mail & Messages" category of Spotlight seems to only find ones since my last re-indexing began. It is as if no mail messages previous to the re-indexing action are being included in the search.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated...

Nov 27, 2018 3:10 AM in response to paulz42

That did it for me.

Note: After doing step 1 "Disable spotlight and remove the index by typing: sudo mdutil -i off -E / <return>"

It took about 5 min for it to process and me to get my cursor back live in the Terminal window.

Then I proceeded to step 2 (which I think also took a little bit of time? I didn't stick around to watch!)

Thank you!

Searching in Mojave Mail.app not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.