Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 unavailable anywhere.

I purchased Aperture 3 a few years back and am currently using 3.4.5. I want to update to version 3.6 but cannot find anywhere to download. I paid good money for this program, enjoy using it and don't want to switch to Lightroom or Photos. Apple should make the update available to purchasers of they software,

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 3:29 PM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2018 2:51 AM in response to WGMcNutt

Apple stopped supporting Aperture in about March 2015, when they introduced the Photos app.

If you purchased Aperture 3.4.5 through the App Store using your Apple ID you may still be able to get version 3.6.

First of all you need to back up your Mac. Once the back up has finished open your Applications folder and copy the Aperture.app to an external disk or USB. Now move the one in your Applications folder to the trash and delete it. Now disconnect any external disk USB stick etc that may have any incidence of the Aperture.app on it, leave the Aperture Library alone. Restart your Mac open the App Store and see if you get offered Aperture in the Purchased section, make sure it is version 3.6.

If you are successful and do manage to download version 3.6 when you open it it will convert your Aperture Library to be compatible with 3.6, this is irreversible. If 3.6 does not show in the Purchased section then you can just put back the 3.4.5 version you made a copy of earlier.

Remember you can only do this if you purchased version 3.4.5 through the App Store using the Apple ID associated with your Mac.

Oct 14, 2018 3:12 AM in response to WGMcNutt

If you purchased Aperture not from the App Store but with a Serial number, and you missed the opportunity to convert Aperture to an AppStore version when Aperture 3.5.1 came out with Mavericks, there is nothing you can do on your own to update to Aperture 3.6 now.

You will need the help of AppleSupport to provide a redeem code, so you can Purchase Aperture again from the AppStore and it will show in your Purchases. Occasionally Apple Support did help with this, right after MacOS 10.10.3 Yosemite made older Aperture versions incompatible.

Oct 14, 2018 9:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I didn't purchase 3.4.5 through the App store. I purchased the boxed version 3.0 on DVD before it was available on the App store. I upgraded to 3.4.5 through the Apple downloads section of their website never imagining that Apple would one day abandon this fine program. I guess that was my mistake. Guess I'll just have to stick with Mavericks. Never really wanted my computer to look or act like an iPhone anyway. Thanks to both of you for your quick response and help.

Aperture 3.6 unavailable anywhere.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.