Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Faces from iPhoto to Photos

I am trying to finally bite the bullet and upgrade from iPhoto to Photos. I let my library spend hours upgrading and then have waited several days for the People scanning to finish. But it does not appear that all of my tagged Faces from iPhoto transferred to People in Photos. I had a smart album that would show our whole family, for example. In iPhoto there were hundreds of photos. The smart album transferred to Photos and its criteria look right, but it finds just a single photo. I'm worried that the hundreds of hours I spent tagging faces might be lost. How can I check to ensure that things have transferred or redo the library migration to make sure they do?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 14, 2018 2:17 AM in response to Kolodner

I just tested again and opened an older iPhoto Library in Photos.

I am seeing all faces I named in iPhoto in Photos, when I click the "People" album in the sidebar, and then click the button "View People Album", even if Photos is still showing "0 Photos Scanned".

What are you seeing, when you click "View People Album"?

Have you already activate the option "View > Show Face Names" in the View menu in Photos, so you can see all faces circles overlaid on the photos, that have been detected? My screenshot is from Photos 4.0 on Mojave, but it used to be similar on High Sierra.

User uploaded file

Smatt albums do not transfer well between iPhoto and Photos.

If you want to repeat the migration, I would use your smart albums in Photos to assign a keyword with the name of each person to the phots with named faces. The keywords will transfer well, and you can use them after the migration to search for the person and recreate the named faces quickly.

Oct 14, 2018 7:54 AM in response to Kolodner

If you are using iPhoto and faces name should not be removed when you convert iPhoto into photo library , export the complete iPhoto library to an external hard drive ( the exact library will be exported with all your family faces with their names also the smart albums see this article iPhoto: Back up your iPhoto library

And then import the library see this article Overview of importing photos and videos into Photos on Mac - Apple Support

See some general articles iPhoto: Remove people from your Faces corkboard

Oct 14, 2018 11:08 AM in response to Kolodner

My test library has been small, just 100 photos, so the faces scan finished quickly.

Let the Mac run over night, connected to Power, with Photos minimized in the Dock, so it can finish the Faces scan and the face recognition. It may take several days for such a large library. When Photos has finished the faces scan, help it along by putting names into a few of the empty faces names. Then use the "confirm additional faces" at the bottom of the faces album of your son. Photos will be showing the faces there, where it is not quite sure, if it is really your son.

Oct 14, 2018 3:49 PM in response to léonie

I had let the Mac run several days checking faces and it left about 90% of them unrecognized. So on advice from Apple Support, I'm actually trying a new library conversion from iPhoto to Photos. It has done the initial library conversion and looks like more of the Faces transferred. Now I'm going to give it a day or two to churn through all the People processing.

Oct 15, 2018 6:19 PM in response to Kolodner

The new conversion is done. Upon immediate conversion my Whole Family smart album had like 335 photos tagged with all four of our faces, which matched what was in iPhoto. (I grabbed a screenshot.) After 24 hours of people scanning, it's now down to just 89 of all four of us. So the rescan that Photos does for faces is actually removing confirmed Faces! I'm letting it continue and I have a scheduled call with Support tomorrow. By that time I expect that it will have un-tagged all my faces, just like with the first conversion. It might be quick and easy to re-tag a lot of them, but it's very disappointing that it would go through undoing my hard work from years and years!

Oct 16, 2018 6:41 AM in response to Kolodner

The problem is, that the face detection algorithm in Photos is very different from the face detection in iPhoto, Aperture, or even older versions of Photos. So the faces circles detected by Photos may be in a slightly different position than the faces circles previously detected by older software. Photos will only use the faces circles it detected itself with the current version of the face detection, and we have to help it initially by assigning faces to a few of the new faces circles, to get it started, if they are not matching perfectly the migrated faces. If the previously detected faces are matching perfectly, they will be used. I had to do that even again after the upgrade from Photos 2.0 to Photos 3.0. , whenever the face detection algorithm changes.

That is why I got into the habit of assigning keywords with the faces names to each photo. The keywords are in the long run much more stable than the faces names and survive the upgrades of the face detection algorithm.

Getting Faces from iPhoto to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.