Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assign printer a static ip

Hi,

I have a router on my ground floor and a time capsule (TC) on my 2nd floor that are connected through an Ethernet cable. I’ve assigned to TC a static IP. TC is thus in the bridge mode (router mode off) And is mainly used to enhance wi-fi signal.

To the TC I’ve connected a Kyocera FS-C5100dn printer also with an Ethernet cable. The printer can be set through bonjour protocol and is fully functional on all my wi-fi connected computers.

My problem is that I cannot connect printer to my iPad because Kyocera app is asking for an IP address. I’ve tried to discover printer’s IP address with various apps but I didn’t manage to find any. I’ve tried to assign an IP static address to the printer using it’s led panel but I didn’t manage to see my printer through my main, ground floor, router. As TC is in the bridge mode, I can‘t activate DHCP reservations.

I would be very grateful for your help.

Cheers,

Sharlo

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 7:24 AM

Since you say that you are having difficulty with iPad printing, we assume that your other devices are printing OK. Is that correct?

The Kyocera printer will need to be AirPrint compatible to work with an iPad or iPhone. I looked in Apple's support document for AirPrint linked just below, but I could not find the model number of your printer listed in Apple's list of AirPrint supported printers.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

So, your first task would be to check with Kyocera Support to find out if the FS-C5100dn supports AirPrint. If it does, you should not need to assign a fixed IP address to the printer.

If the printer is not AirPrint compatible, then it will not work with the iPad.....unless.....you install additional software like Printopia on your Mac to see if that might allow the iPad to print.

Printopia - Print from your iPad or iPhone - Decisive Tactics, Inc.https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/printopia/

If you feel that you must assign a fixed IP address to the printer, that should be handled by your main router. Since you say that you have assigned a Static IP address to the Time Capsule, you would follow the same process to assign a fixed or static IP address for the printer. To do this, you will likely need the MAC Address of the printer, which is normally on a label on the back or bottom of a device.

Finally, if you need more help with iPad printing, you should post your question in the support forum for the iPad. The link to that forum is just below.

Using iPad

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2018 7:24 AM in response to Sharlo

Since you say that you are having difficulty with iPad printing, we assume that your other devices are printing OK. Is that correct?

The Kyocera printer will need to be AirPrint compatible to work with an iPad or iPhone. I looked in Apple's support document for AirPrint linked just below, but I could not find the model number of your printer listed in Apple's list of AirPrint supported printers.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

So, your first task would be to check with Kyocera Support to find out if the FS-C5100dn supports AirPrint. If it does, you should not need to assign a fixed IP address to the printer.

If the printer is not AirPrint compatible, then it will not work with the iPad.....unless.....you install additional software like Printopia on your Mac to see if that might allow the iPad to print.

Printopia - Print from your iPad or iPhone - Decisive Tactics, Inc.https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/printopia/

If you feel that you must assign a fixed IP address to the printer, that should be handled by your main router. Since you say that you have assigned a Static IP address to the Time Capsule, you would follow the same process to assign a fixed or static IP address for the printer. To do this, you will likely need the MAC Address of the printer, which is normally on a label on the back or bottom of a device.

Finally, if you need more help with iPad printing, you should post your question in the support forum for the iPad. The link to that forum is just below.

Using iPad

Oct 14, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Sharlo

FING will usually be able to find the printer directly from your iphone or ipad.

The address of the printer should also be listed in the DHCP table of the main router.. whatever model that is..

Even your local computer can probably show the printer location by using ARP command in a terminal.

So type arp -a and you will get a listing of known MAC addresses.. you will need to know the printer MAC address which you can usually get by printing the info page.

The printer will normally also have an info page for network settings. Rather than trying to discover obscure items via one or two line LCD display just print the details.

However as Bob notes.. your printer is too old to have airprint capability.. and I am not sure what app you are using in iOS but you will still have some issues with older printers.

Oct 15, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply - yes you are correct, all my other computers recognised my printer. And yes, I've tried before posting here to find my printer on the main router in order to assign static IP but ...

Let's say simply, I'm an idiot, your answer just confirmed that I have to start from zero - so I displaced the printer (it's pretty heavy) and saw that the Ethernet cable was unplugged ... everything took less then a minute to install. My main router immediately recognised the printer and it was easy to assign static IP.

You're wright - and I've already downloaded Kyocera's app on App store and I took a second to discover the printer and print a page.

Thanks for your help.

Sharlo

Assign printer a static ip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.