Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio configuration error code

I am trying to open iTunes on my desktop PC (Dell). The speakers weren't working. I unplugged all of the cords and plugged them back in and got a message that said everything was plugged in. When I tried to restart iTunes, I got an iTunes message: "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. A/V playback may not operate properly", and indeed, nothing plays. I've looked at some solutions which suggest deleting iTunes and reinstalling it, but I want to know that wouldn't remove my iTunes library. Looking for suggestions . . .

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 4:31 PM

The current version of iTunes won't launch properly if it cannot detect a locally connected speaker system on launch. This applies even if you intend to use remote speakers or access the iTunes library remotely. If your computer includes a switch in the speaker socket to determine whether or not speakers are plugged in then you need to put something there, even if there are no speakers connected to it.

As for the original issue:

Use Edit > Preferences > Playback and look at the entry for Play Audio Using. This will normally be set to either Direct Sound or Windows Audio Session. Changing to the other setting may help. If not set back to the first option and apply once more.

For further advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2018 4:31 PM in response to KmagMax

The current version of iTunes won't launch properly if it cannot detect a locally connected speaker system on launch. This applies even if you intend to use remote speakers or access the iTunes library remotely. If your computer includes a switch in the speaker socket to determine whether or not speakers are plugged in then you need to put something there, even if there are no speakers connected to it.

As for the original issue:

Use Edit > Preferences > Playback and look at the entry for Play Audio Using. This will normally be set to either Direct Sound or Windows Audio Session. Changing to the other setting may help. If not set back to the first option and apply once more.

For further advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Audio configuration error code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.