Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my sound Library?

Hello,

My mac is telling me...

"the garageband sound library contains instruments, sounds and lessons using 13gig of space."

But I can't see this library anywhere.

I have a garageband folder which contains four tunes I have made amounting to mo more than 1gig.

And another loops folder containing 64meg of stuff.

But I can't see anything else anywhere.

Can someone enlighten me.

Any help gratefully received.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 1:18 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 16, 2018 6:18 AM in response to benfromhammersmith

The estimate shown in the "manage Storage" panel is not necessarily accurate.

Did you previously have Logic Pro X or MainStage installed? Then the folder

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

may also contain many sound files, that are also used by GarageBand.

Which System version do you have installed? The "Manage" panel, that is showing the used storage for GarageBand should directly show you the location od the items and let you delete them. When I hover over "Instrument Library" an x will appear, and I can directly delete the library by clicking the x. This what I am seeing in High Sierra:

User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2018 6:36 AM in response to léonie

Again, many thanks for this.

Yes I've looked in Logic. It contains roughly 2 gig of stuff.

Attached is a picture of what I see when I click on 'music creation'

As you can see, it doesn't work on the same principle as the other buttons for some strange reason.

I'm on High Sierra on a macbook pro.

You're right about the estimate in 'manage storage'. Mine is all over the place, showing icloud as having more stored than my whole computer can accept. And I don't have anything other than a gig in there. A real mess.

I have spoken to Apple but they weren't able to solve that.

On the other hand I HAVE downloaded (to the best of my knowledge) a load of sounds from garageband that I can't seem to locate. Unless it is simply the stuff in the garageband folder and the loops.

I've also attached pictures of the trail I make to try and find these sounds in application support.User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 15, 2018 1:22 PM in response to benfromhammersmith

The sound library is usually installed in the folder /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

Have a look in the Library folder at the top level of your Macintosh HD.

GarageBand may also be using storage for Apple Loops. You will find them in the folder /Library/Audio/Apple Loops

These loops may also used by iMovie. So do not uninstall them, if you are using iMovie.

Oct 15, 2018 2:00 PM in response to benfromhammersmith

Ah, I see.

thank you.

I have gone to Macintosh HD/Library/application support/garageband.

There is a folder there with a couple of things in it which amounts to 2.68 gig.

As an experiment I have just downloaded 'all available sounds' from garageband.

I then went to 'about this mac' and looked under 'storage' and it has indeed increased 'music creation' to 15.97 gig. It still prompts me that this is all contained in the 'garageband sound library', which I can't find anywhere!

I thank you for your continued help in this matter.

Oct 16, 2018 1:29 AM in response to léonie

I did another little experiment.

I downloaded some lessons from Garageband. About 4gig worth.

These lessons have ended up in the folder you got me to look up.

HD/Application support/garageband.

The folder is now 6gig.

Which suggests that this is all working Ok.

But my computer is still telling me I have 16gig of downloaded sounds somewhere and they certainly aren't in that folder or any other one I have looked at.

Most frustrating.

Any more help and ideas gratefully received!

Thank you.

Oct 16, 2018 8:16 AM in response to benfromhammersmith

Do you want to remove the sound library, or are you still using GarageBand and want to make it smaller?

If you want to make the library smaller, make a current backup of your Mac, so you can restore everything, if need be, then click the "Remove GarageBand Sound Library" button.

You can reinstall it from inside GarageBand using the "GarageBand > Sound Library" menu.

Oct 16, 2018 9:35 AM in response to léonie

The reason for all this was to save a bit of space by locating the sound library and then transferring it to an external hard drive. Little did I know it would open this can of worms!

I still want to use garageband deffo. I'm just running out of space and it's my work computer.

Maybe the best thing to do is to delete the library like you say and see if it makes a blind bit of difference.

Where is my sound Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.