Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set “tabs” in a Word doc in Pages?

How can I set tabs in a Word Doc, using Pages in my iPad?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 5:03 PM

Hi SM,

You don't.

When Pages opens an MS Word document, the document is translated into a Pages document. From that point on, you are working with a Pages document, not a Word document.

In Pages, you set a tab stop by placing the insertion point in the text to which it is to apply, then tapping the ruler where you want the tab stop placed. Once placed, you can use your finger to drag it into a more precise location.

You can remove a tab stop by dragging it off the ruler (downward).

Tapping the … at the right end of the menu bar opens a menu including Share and Export in its choices. Choose export, then choose Word to export a copy of the document in Word format. Pages translates a copy of the Pages document into an MS Word format file and saves that copy.

Translation is not 'perfect'.

Any feature used in the original Word document that is not supported in Pages will be lost in the first translation. Any feature used in the Pages version that is not supported in MS Word will be lost in the return translation. Features common (in name) to both applications may be implemented in a different manner in each, and may look different in the two versions.

If you have an ongoing need to do this translation, you my need to consider installing MS Word for iOS on your iPad.

Regards,

Barry

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2018 5:03 PM in response to Siena Monkey

Hi SM,

You don't.

When Pages opens an MS Word document, the document is translated into a Pages document. From that point on, you are working with a Pages document, not a Word document.

In Pages, you set a tab stop by placing the insertion point in the text to which it is to apply, then tapping the ruler where you want the tab stop placed. Once placed, you can use your finger to drag it into a more precise location.

You can remove a tab stop by dragging it off the ruler (downward).

Tapping the … at the right end of the menu bar opens a menu including Share and Export in its choices. Choose export, then choose Word to export a copy of the document in Word format. Pages translates a copy of the Pages document into an MS Word format file and saves that copy.

Translation is not 'perfect'.

Any feature used in the original Word document that is not supported in Pages will be lost in the first translation. Any feature used in the Pages version that is not supported in MS Word will be lost in the return translation. Features common (in name) to both applications may be implemented in a different manner in each, and may look different in the two versions.

If you have an ongoing need to do this translation, you my need to consider installing MS Word for iOS on your iPad.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 15, 2018 4:18 PM in response to Siena Monkey

Why not use Word. Pages is not Word.

This is the Pages for Mac forum. Your question should be posted in iWork for iOS

When you tap in your text and the keyboard appears, the top left of the keyboard has an icon of an arrow pointing at a vertical line, tap on that and you have the option of insert tab, a tab mark appears on your Ruler which can be dragged into position.

Oct 15, 2018 5:01 PM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry. I think I’m throwing everyone off by saying I’m working in Word. I’m not. I import docs that are Word but understand that they become Pages docs. When I finish the work and export, I e port as a Word doc.

Anyways. I’ve been using Pages in my iPad for 6 years. YES!!! I always could create tabs and there used to be a tab button in the past but no more. I’ll keep looking for answers.

Oct 15, 2018 7:45 PM in response to Siena Monkey

Hi SM,

I've not used Word for iOS at all, so can't recommend it one way or the other based on personal experience. Like most iOS apps, it uses, and provides, a subset of the features available on the Windows (or on the Mac) version(s).

It does, though use the same file format as it's big brother (and its big cousin), so translation issues are reduced or eliminated.

It will not, though, have the same 'feel' as Pages, which may be a factor. (That's also true of Pages for iOS vis a vis Pages for Mac (and for Pages for Mac 5.x and onward vis a vis Pages '09, but that's a different issue).

Regarding Peter's initial reply:

Your comments may fit if you read only the first two lines, but Peter did provide useful information in the post:

"When you tap in your text and the keyboard appears, the top left of the keyboard has an icon of an arrow pointing at a vertical line, tap on that and you have the option of insert tab, a tab mark appears on your Ruler which can be dragged into position."

Regards,

Barry

How do I set “tabs” in a Word doc in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.