Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 12.0.1 update battery drain is high

Battery drain is really high right after 12.0.1 update.

Went from 68 % to 44 % within 10 minutes

iPhone 6s, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 9:10 AM

I have read that article and adjusted settings to maximizer performance. Battery was fine pre-12.0/12.0.1, after installing both of these it lasts about 4 hours. I used to be able to use it all day. Upgrades should upgrade performance, not significantly downgrade it. Very annoying when we are all too busy already to have to contact support for what was supposed to be an upgrade.

95 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2018 9:10 AM in response to raina_b22

I have read that article and adjusted settings to maximizer performance. Battery was fine pre-12.0/12.0.1, after installing both of these it lasts about 4 hours. I used to be able to use it all day. Upgrades should upgrade performance, not significantly downgrade it. Very annoying when we are all too busy already to have to contact support for what was supposed to be an upgrade.

Oct 29, 2018 11:57 PM in response to univuser1979

Been with iPhone since original phone came out. First time I am seeing such severe battery drain with my device. Just moved over to iPhone XR from X last week. Therefore new battery and new phone. For 2 days all was working fine and software must have upgraded to 12.0.1. However now rapid battery drain. Face ID also stopped working. No help with hard reset and all the other ‘tips’ to reduce battery life. Charging also appears to have seriously slowed down. Not sure if iPhone XR or software issue. Awaiting 12.1 which I understand may be released today! If problem still occurs then phone will be taken back to network provider as purchased last week!!

User uploaded file

Oct 17, 2018 1:13 PM in response to khanster

Hi there, khanster!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue with the battery usage on your device and I am happy to help out! Check out this article with information about iPhone Battery and Performance for excellent tips you can try for improving your battery life. Also, check out this link to Contact Support. This will get you in touch with Apple and they will be happy to proceed with further steps.
Take care!

Oct 27, 2018 9:50 AM in response to khanster

I also have this problem. I purchased a new battery for my iphone 6s in February 2018. The battery health is at 97%. Ever since I upgraded ios to version 12.0.1 my battery drains very quickly, even when I’m not using it. I made sure my location settings are only on when an app is in use. I close most apps when I’m not using them. I dimmed the screen. I have very few notifications enabled. I disabled background app refresh. I store the phone upside down when not using it, but the battery is still draining at a ridiculous rate. I barely use the phone anymore unless I have to and don’t go anywhere without a charging cable. I just spent over 30 minutes on a chat line with apple support. She verified my battery health is good and recommended to backup and reset my device. That is not a solution! I urge anyone in this situation to make a formal complaint to apple. This is the link to make the complaint. Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Feb 13, 2019 2:42 PM in response to khanster

Just found the solution to the low life battery issue with the new iPhone update. Recommendation from Apple:

1. Talk Faster !!
  2. Only use the phone in emergencies
  3. Use Public pay phones whenever possible
  4. Use wifi on your computer instead of your iPhone
  5. Do not use the iPhone in the mobile mode, only when plugged into a outlet
  6. Consider switching from the Apple iPhone to a competitive smart phone.
  7. Place duck tape over your mouth to limit senseless communications

Feb 13, 2019 2:44 PM in response to khanster

Just found the solution to the low life battery issue with the new iPhone update. Recommendation from Apple:

1. Talk Faster !!
  2. Only use the phone in emergencies
  3. Use Public pay phones whenever possible
  4. Use wifi on your computer instead of your iPhone
  5. Do not use the iPhone in the mobile mode, only when plugged into a outlet
  6. Consider switching from the Apple iPhone to a competitive smart phone.
  7. Place duck tape over your mouth to limit senseless communications

Oct 26, 2018 6:52 AM in response to khanster

I too am having the same problem with battery draining on iPhone 6s after the update. I had the battery replaced in April. I use to be able to go all day on one charge. Now I have to recharge once or twice during the day. There is no way the battery should be draining this fast. At first I thought it was the phone and it was time to upgrade. After reading all of the comments/complaints on this forum I now know it’s the latest 12 update that is causing the problem. I hope apple is planning to fix this problem.

Oct 26, 2018 3:46 PM in response to khanster

I have the same problem with my 6S since the 12.0.1 update too. Battery drains so quick that I’m now charging 3 times a day. Previous to the update I was getting a full day. I can actually see the battery level draining in huge chunks over very short periods of time (upto 20% a minute) just from browsing the web and with my screen brightness turned right down. Once it reaches 1% it apppears to last a lot longer than you would expect for the last remaining 1%. There is definitely an issue with apples latest update. Come on Apple hold ya hands up and get it sorted.

Oct 27, 2018 11:10 AM in response to mblataric

Please read my post again. Ever since I upgraded ios to version 12.0.1 my battery drains very quickly, even when I’m not using it. My battery health is fine. Apple support verified that. Therefore the only thing that could cause such a drastic change was the ios upgrade. The problem started immediately after the upgrade over a week ago on both my iphone and my ipad. NOT A COINCIDENCE!!!!!

After 12.0.1 update battery drain is high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.