Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download osx el capitan 10.11.6

Hello everyone!

Today I have had the great idea of formatting my iMac early 2009, in which the latest macOs available is El Capitan.

Basically I used the macOS recovery tool for formatting the iMac and after that I wanted to reinstall El Capitan. Always using tha macOS recovery tool I connected to the wifi and started the new procedure for installing El Capitan, but after agreed at the terms and conditions and signed in with my apple ID, an error message appeared "El Capitan is not available anymore in the store..."

I started searching with another computer if it is possible to download El capitan in some other way, but I didn't find anything. I can find only old links that redirect me to the store where I get the message "the item in not available in the store".

I have never downloaded El Capitan from the App store, because my iMac is a second hand device in which, when I bought it, there was already installed El Capitan on it. I want to clarify that because I have found procedure where someone suggest to download it from the past purchases of your account. I cannot do that.

I hope there is someone that can help me, otherwise my iMac will officially became an ornament 😕

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 6:05 AM

Use How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

download osx el capitan 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.