You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS vs Cellular Apple Watch

If I purchase a GPS only Apple Watch Series 4, and my phone is with me, but I am not connected to WiFi (ex. On a road trip, or at the park) can I use my watch to make and receive calls, receive and reply to messages, etc? I have seen threads about this on series 3 that indicate you may need the phone and watch on a WiFi network to use your watch to it’s full capacity. I am going back and forth on which model to purchase. I almost always have my phone on me so I am trying to determine if there is a benefit to the cellular model if I don’t ever leave my phone behind. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 6:09 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 20, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Cvanzyll

Hey, CvanzyII!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that you're considering purchasing an Apple Watch Series 4, but aren't sure whether you should get the GPS-only model, or opt for the GPS + Cellular model. I understand your specific concern is whether or not the GPS-only model will still function for calls and messages away from Wi-Fi, as long as your paired companion iPhone is nearby. I would be happy to provide you with some information!

Your Apple Watch communicates with your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Having Wi-Fi on is necessary for some feature, but you can still use your Apple Watch without Wi-Fi for a lot of things. Calls and messages on a GPS-only model, for example, still work without Wi-Fi. Just make sure your iPhone is on, has a connection to your carrier's network, and Bluetooth is enabled. The Apple Support article About Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and cellular on your Apple Watch - Apple Support expands how your Apple Watch connects:

To enjoy every feature on your Apple Watch, you need to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your paired iPhone. Open Control Center on your iPhone, then make sure Wi-Fi User uploaded file and Bluetooth User uploaded file are on.

Your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to communicate with your paired iPhone. If you have cellular, your watch can also stay connected through a cellular network. Your watch switches between these intelligently to choose the most power-efficient connection. Here's how:

• Your Apple Watch uses Bluetooth when your iPhone is near, which conserves power.
  • If Bluetooth isn’t available, your Apple Watch will try to use Wi-Fi. For example, if compatible Wi-Fi is available and your iPhone isn't in Bluetooth range, your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi.
  • If Bluetooth and Wi-Fi aren't available, and you set up a cellular plan, cellular models of Apple Watch can connect to cellular networks.

In addition there are things you can do with your GPS-only model even when your iPhone is powered off or not around. You can read about what those things are here: How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support .

Enjoy your weekend!

GPS vs Cellular Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.