Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 in mid 2012 majored not working

So I installed moja on my MacBook Pro but when I log in the screen goes black (sometimes it doesn’t log me in and just loads) and I’m back to logging in. I tried checking via disk utility (my hard drive is encrypted) but after mounting and then running first aid my had unmounts(or show as not mounted).i have also reinstalled mojave about 4 times to no avail . Any suggestions (I do have an appointment with the Genius Bar to see if they can help

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.4, 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 3:59 PM

See if things work better if thr Mac can be booted in Safe Mode. If there are kernel add-ons around, those won’t be loaded. That’ll help determine if this is a more general problem, or maybe a problem with add-on software,of some sort...

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If you’re able to start the upgrade again and have previously installed any add-on security tools, anti-malware tools, any performance-optimizers or cleaners or other kernel-based extensions, try removing all of them per vendor instructions, and try the Mojave upgrade again. That’s if you have a way to start the whole process over again, from whatever macOS version was in use prior to starting the Mojave upgrade.

Failing that...

Create backups all user partitions present on your boot device, create a bootable Mojave installer on a scratch USB device, boot that, wipe the disk, install Mojave, and migrate in your data and apps. Basically, start over again, with a clean install of macOS Mojave, and let the installation or the Migration Assistant tool transfer over your data.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Or yes, check with the folks at the Genius Bar. (But you’ll still want to have backups, before starting down that path...)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2018 3:59 PM in response to razak9

See if things work better if thr Mac can be booted in Safe Mode. If there are kernel add-ons around, those won’t be loaded. That’ll help determine if this is a more general problem, or maybe a problem with add-on software,of some sort...

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If you’re able to start the upgrade again and have previously installed any add-on security tools, anti-malware tools, any performance-optimizers or cleaners or other kernel-based extensions, try removing all of them per vendor instructions, and try the Mojave upgrade again. That’s if you have a way to start the whole process over again, from whatever macOS version was in use prior to starting the Mojave upgrade.

Failing that...

Create backups all user partitions present on your boot device, create a bootable Mojave installer on a scratch USB device, boot that, wipe the disk, install Mojave, and migrate in your data and apps. Basically, start over again, with a clean install of macOS Mojave, and let the installation or the Migration Assistant tool transfer over your data.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Or yes, check with the folks at the Genius Bar. (But you’ll still want to have backups, before starting down that path...)

MacBook Pro 13 in mid 2012 majored not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.