Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update Caught in an Infinite Loop?

I am running a 12" MacBook (2017) with Mac OS 10.13.4 currently installed. The software update function is telling (very reasonably) that an update to 10.13.6 is available. (I don't know what happened to 10.13.5, but perhaps that is another story.) I go to the App Store Update page, and once the .6 is downloaded, the system quite naturally tries to restart, but then a message appears that tells me that "Available updates have changed" and "Click 'show details' to see the available updates." I do so, and that leads me back to the App Store update page where it tells me (again) that I have an update (10.13.6) available for download. So the update function appears to be caught in an infinite loop of confusion. How can I rectify this and cut myself out of the loop?

My thanks in advance,

T. North

MacBook 12" Retina (2017)-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 12:32 PM

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

If this doesn't help, then try macOS High Sierra - Full Download. Be aware that if your model can run Mojave, then you will need to install it instead: Get MacOS Mojave now from the Mac App Store.

2 replies

Software Update Caught in an Infinite Loop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.