Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC applications are no longer supported on your Mac

I bought a G-TECH G-DRIVE MOBILE USB-C 1TB RG-ZML after chatting extensively with Apple support. I did this to back up my iTunes library on my old iMac g5, I was told this would be possible. When I try to open it (by connecting the device to my MacBook Pro) I get the message 'PowerPC applications are no longer supported'

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 10:23 AM

When you connect the disk it may be trying to run a PPC application contained on it - many of this sort of disk include software for backups etc. Try using Disk Utility to format the disk, which will erase it and should enable you to use it normally. Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

7 replies

Oct 21, 2018 1:26 AM in response to mrstrong98

If you’re running OS X Lion, you’re not on a PPC G5 Mac system.You’re on an Intel Mac

No PPC systems are supported past OS X 10.6.8.

If you’re on an Intel Mac past 10.6, there’s no support for running PPC apps.

The error you’re reporting is an attempt to run a PPC app on a 10.7 or later Intel Mac.

There are no PPC Mac systems with USB-C connections.

If you’re trying to back up a PPC Mac, then USB and FireWire drives were more commonly used, though there were a few other drives. No support for direct connecfions to USB-C exists that far back.

Your footer indicates OS X 10.6, your posting indicates PPC, you’ve posted in 10.7, and you’re referencing a USB-C device and a PPC app of some sort, so I’m not entirely sure which Mac and which OS X/macOS version is in use here, nor whether there might be a virtual machine package such as Parallels or Fusion installed. Could you post a few more details about your hardware and software configuration, and your goals? (We’re users like you, and we don’t have access fo the details of any of your discussions with Apple Support.)

Oct 21, 2018 2:09 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi

Thank you for your replies. Here is what Im trying to do (and after a lot of discussion in support chat I was told this would be possible.)

I have an iMac G5 (which is obsolete) and I wanted to back up my extensive iTunes library so I bought the G-TECH G-DRIVE MOBILE USB-C 1TB RG-ZML after taking advice.

I backed up the library (I think) and it appears on the disc when I connect it to my MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6 (which I couldn't add from the drop down menu to my post for some reason) and click on it I get the PowerPC applications are no longer supported on your Mac message. I don't even know was PPC is... I have googled this and it seems its common but I can only find the questions and not the answers!

What I would like to know is if my iTunes library is backed up and how I would retrieve it...

Oct 28, 2018 10:23 AM in response to mrstrong98

PPC is an older type of processor: the move away from it to Intel required application to be rewritten: older application will no longer run and you get this message. This shouldn't affect your iTunes library which is not an application.

The disk may have arrived formatted for Windows. I would advise formatting as I suggested above, so that it's to Mac format, and then doing the backup again.

Rather than backup the Library I should drag the entire contents from the Songs list to the disk. They can easily be reimported into another iTunes.

PowerPC applications are no longer supported on your Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.