Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which version of OS X / macOS is best for Aperture support in a VM?

In addition to Aperture I've a few legacy apps that I'd like to hold on to. Aperture may more or less work on Mojave, but it's probably a bridge too far. The migration to Lightroom is too difficult to contemplate (esp. metadata and image edit loss) so I have to migrate to Photos.app -- but I'd like to give Apple a bit longer to fix Photos (yeah, probably futile hope).

So I'm considering running Aperture in a Parallels VM. Which version of macOS would be best?

I'm thinking one of:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (Zinfandel) - 25 July 2012

OS X 10.9 Mavericks (Cabernet) - 22 October 2013

OS X 10.10: Yosemite (Syrah) - 16 October 2014

OS X 10.11: El Capitan (Gala) - 30 September 2015

Aperture 3.6, a final update adding compatibility with OS X Yosemite, was released on October 16, 2014. So I'm thinking either Yosemite or Mavericks. I thought Mountain Lion and El Capitan were pretty good, but I can't remember much about Mavericks or Yosemite.

Any opinions on the best choice for Aperture?

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 8:06 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 21, 2018 8:17 AM in response to jfaughnan

Responding a bit to my own question, wikipedia's article on versions says:

Version 10.10: "Yosemite"

OS X Yosemite was released to the general public on October 16, 2014, as a free update through the Mac App Store worldwide. It featured a major overhaul of user interface, replaced skeuomorphism with flat graphic design and blurred translucency effects, following the aesthetic introduced with iOS 7. It introduced features called Continuity and Handoff, which allow for tighter integration between paired OS X and iOS devices: the user can handle phone calls or text messages on either their Mac or their iPhone, and edit the same Pages document on either their Mac or their iPad. A later update of the OS included Photos as a replacement for iPhoto and Aperture.

This makes me think that for optimal Aperture compatibility I probably want Mavericks. I'm pretty sure photostream, which I'd like to continue to use, was part of Mavericks. My Mavericks installer is 5.33GB, my Yosemite installer is 5.68GB.

Oct 26, 2018 7:39 AM in response to jfaughnan

Aperture 3.6, a final update adding compatibility with OS X Yosemite, was released on October 16, 2014. So I'm thinking either Yosemite or Mavericks.

Aperture 3.6 does not run on Mavericks - you would need Aperture 3.5.1 on Mavericks. To be able to run Aperture 3.6 you need at least MacOS X 10.10.3.

There have been a few glitches with Aperture 3.6 on Yosemite, like problems with the Straighten tool, when used in combination with the Levels tool. These problems had been fixed in El Capitan, if I remember correctly. On Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra, Aperture had problems with upside down thumbnails in the list view; and the onscreen proofing did not work with Aperture 3.6 on Yosemite.

Which version of OS X / macOS is best for Aperture support in a VM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.