Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import 4K .mov files

iMac 3.5GHz Core i5 32Gb memory

Osx- 10.13.6

QuickTimePlayer 10.4

I have made (3) 20-30 min videos in QTP as Screen Recordings, exported as 4K, HEVC codec. Resulting files which pay correctly in QT appear as .mov format.

I cannot get any of them to be imported into iMovie – to edit and stitch together. iMovie only shows them as 720p files. I cannot afford that much loss of quality.

Is there any way to "force" these Apple-created files to be accepted by another Apple-created app as the same resolution they were created at????

Would something like Adobe Premier be likely to handle them?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2018 10:50 AM

Yes-that's one of the limitations of iMovie (yup, even the new one). It's kinda picky about which files it'll accept and which ones it won't. It'll handle .mp4 video just fine though, maybe .mov. what happens if you left-click on one of the videos you have created and do a "get info" on it. It should tell you the resolution, etc. and you can tell it what application you want to open it with. You should be able to export 'em in at least 1080p or better. If that's not enough for you, then, yes, Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro should be able to do the job.

John B

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2018 10:50 AM in response to fusodrvr

Yes-that's one of the limitations of iMovie (yup, even the new one). It's kinda picky about which files it'll accept and which ones it won't. It'll handle .mp4 video just fine though, maybe .mov. what happens if you left-click on one of the videos you have created and do a "get info" on it. It should tell you the resolution, etc. and you can tell it what application you want to open it with. You should be able to export 'em in at least 1080p or better. If that's not enough for you, then, yes, Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro should be able to do the job.

John B

Oct 27, 2018 11:05 AM in response to fusodrvr

Another 'chapter':

I decided to change the 'open this file with…' setting in the Get Info window, and set it for iMovie.

When I double-clicked to open, I got this dialog box:

User uploaded file

so Apple thinks its own software is from an "unidentified developer", even tho it recognized QuickTimePlayer [accurately] as the creator. Having been using the Mac OS since 1984, I thought this was more typical of Microsoft, but clearly not so.

Oct 27, 2018 2:03 PM in response to fusodrvr

Yeah-i hear you there. Seriously-what’s up with that? Was there a rash of people installing stuff they shouldn’t?? Haven’t heard of many. Nevertheless-like it or not-it’s the new way. To get around it, go to system preferences then security then click on ‘ open anyways’ , then close it. I don’t even think you need to unlock it, at least i hope not

John b

Cannot import 4K .mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.