Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sometimes the text notification I receive are distorted on my iOS 12

Sometimes the text notification I receive are distorted. It’s like stuck instead of playing cleanly and clearly.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 2:58 PM

Hi ​Kriptik23,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that occasionally you're hearing sound distortion when receiving a message notification on your iPhone. I know it's important for the speaker on your iPhone to work as expected; I'd like to help. I'd like for you to test and see if this behavior occurs when using a different text tone; tap Settings > Sound, and select a different alert from the list. Take some time to test and see if the issue occurs when you're using a different tone. If so, I'd also recommend following the steps below, including contacting Apple if the behavior is unresolved:

Before you follow these steps, see if your speaker works: In Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), drag the Ringer And Alerts slider up or down a few times.

• If you don't hear any sound, your speaker might need service. Contact Apple Support.
  • If you do hear sound, use the steps below and check the sound after each step.

Check sound with an app

Open an app that has music or sound effects, then adjust the volume with your volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.

Plug headphones into your device

If you can hear sound through the headphones but not through your device's speakers, unplug the headphones and clear dust or debris from the headset port on your device.

Restart your device

Turn off your device, then turn it back on. Check the sound again. If you still don't hear any sound, contact Apple Support.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Best Regards.
158 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Kriptik23

Hi ​Kriptik23,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that occasionally you're hearing sound distortion when receiving a message notification on your iPhone. I know it's important for the speaker on your iPhone to work as expected; I'd like to help. I'd like for you to test and see if this behavior occurs when using a different text tone; tap Settings > Sound, and select a different alert from the list. Take some time to test and see if the issue occurs when you're using a different tone. If so, I'd also recommend following the steps below, including contacting Apple if the behavior is unresolved:

Before you follow these steps, see if your speaker works: In Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), drag the Ringer And Alerts slider up or down a few times.

• If you don't hear any sound, your speaker might need service. Contact Apple Support.
  • If you do hear sound, use the steps below and check the sound after each step.

Check sound with an app

Open an app that has music or sound effects, then adjust the volume with your volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.

Plug headphones into your device

If you can hear sound through the headphones but not through your device's speakers, unplug the headphones and clear dust or debris from the headset port on your device.

Restart your device

Turn off your device, then turn it back on. Check the sound again. If you still don't hear any sound, contact Apple Support.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Best Regards.

Dec 31, 2018 3:43 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

It’s not every so often, it’s constantly, every text and VERY annoying. I get a lot of texts for work ect. So my text tones spazzing out all day is ridiculous. I can’t just mute them I have to be able to know when I get a message and not miss one. If you’re only getting them occasionally and don’t mind bugged software on your phone then good for you, that’s your call, but some people would like things they paid for to work like they are supposed to. I thought I was posting where apple support was and we might actually get a fix. Thanks

[Edited by Host]

Apr 4, 2019 10:46 AM in response to Kriptik23

Hi.

I had also this problem on my iPhone 7.

There were 4 things that i did:

1. I reset network settings
  2. go to Settings-Messages-Send & Receive: i select only my phone number WITHOUT email
  3. go to Settings-FaceTime : i logout from Apple ID, so you dont use it for FaceTime and that is written that you can only be reached by FaceTime on your mobile number.
  4. go to Settings-Notification-Messages: set notification grouping to OFF

This is what i did and my text messages notification is normal for the past 2 weeks.

I hope that this will also help you.

Dec 24, 2018 1:16 PM in response to navjagat

I have an Iphone 8 Plus (new). It didn't start until today while I'm working on my macbook at the same time with several screens on full screen. I wonder if it has something to do with the hand-off between the two devices and text messages. I noticed on my 6S that if I was on my macbook I wouldn't get notifications on either device that I had a text message if I was working in full screen. Just a thought.

Dec 27, 2018 10:04 PM in response to Kriptik23

I believe my IPhone 7 started having this problem with a late IOS 11 update, but certainly since updating to the latest version of IOS 12. It's only with IMessage sound alerts and like everyone else says, it doesn't happen every time. It sounds like a repeating echo as though the sound alert is in a loop for approximately 3 cycles. I've changed the alert tone type but it persists.

I've done hard resets, shut the phone down, closed programs and restarted. Pretty much everything but wiping the phone and starting fresh. I've read about others having wiped their phones, only to have the problem return.

Dec 28, 2018 4:14 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Me too and I’m so relieved to know it’s not just me, with an iPhone X that has only just fallen out of its warrantee period. Convenient!

Like most, it was first noticed with iMessage but this morning it happened receiving an email.

It seems to occur when more than one alert needs to be played at once (2 messages received simultaneously or email + message etc).

Sure it all returns to “normal” but it didn’t happen for the first 12 months... so why now? iOS 12.1.2

Sometimes the text notification I receive are distorted on my iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.