Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 160gb 5th Gen won't sync

I have a 160GB iPod Classic that recently stopped synching with iTunes v 12.8. I get the "pinwheel" for about an hour before a message will say that it has to be restored. I do that, tried reloading the iPod with my library and right at the end it decides to dump the music. I've done all the tests and everything apprears to be working on the device. I'm not sure what to do. Help!

iPod classic, 160GB

Posted on Oct 26, 2018 4:02 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Oct 27, 2018 12:51 PM in response to David Milne

I've been updating an iPod classic with 12.8 and 12.9, it still works fine as long as you don't want to transfer iPod games, so perhaps you have some local issue. Any anti-virus software that could be getting in the way? See Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support if you want to try an older build which can transfer iPod games to the device.

tt2

Oct 30, 2018 6:19 PM in response to turingtest2

So far so good! I did the DFU restore, plugged into the USB, iTunes recognized it, restored it, and now it's synching music. Would it be doing that if the HD was corrupt? It also seemed to be uploading a lot faster. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and just swapped out the HD for a SSD 2 TB and upgraded the memory to 8GB. We'll see! **fingers crossed** Thanks again!

Oct 31, 2018 6:30 AM in response to turingtest2

So....really weird. It synched...but when it got to "Finishing Synching" it took about 30 min and then it wasn't showing on iTunes; but the screen still read "Connected". I had to go into Finder to eject it. The language screen came up again like it restored but when hit the "English" button, the selection screen came up showing my album art on the side and it took my music. Good right?? I plugged in headphones to see if it was playing and nothing. I restored it again. Next, it showed the song playing in "now playing" but no sound. When I got to work this AM, I got into the iPod setting and adjusted the volume, plugged into my Bose speaker and I'm getting sound. I'm shuffling all my songs now and it's playing great. However, the buttons are still slow to respond. It still seems choppy but it works. Lastly, when I plugged into my vehicle USB it couldn't recognize the device. I guess the good news is that all the 30 years of music I love is on it.

Oct 31, 2018 8:09 AM in response to David Milne

If there are/were pending sectors it may take more that one round of restore to eliminate them. They can make the device freeze up whenever it tries to read data from an unreadable sector. If it is part of song the iPod can just skip to the next one, but if it is part of the file system or the database that can be more problematic. It sounds as if you got over the hump.

tt2

Nov 1, 2018 4:03 AM in response to David Milne

Yes, DFU restore, low level format, or reformatting on the other platform, all have the potential to release any remaining pending sectors so they can be reallocated. Any pending sectors that are in active use can make the device unstable, which is why you want those freed up. The classic has 16,384 sectors set aside for this remapping, though anything more than a few thousand used would suggest a failing drive.

tt2

iPod Classic 160gb 5th Gen won't sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.