You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Java 11 on macOS 10.14 Mojave?

Yesterday, I updated my MacBook Pro from macOS HS to macOS Mojave.

When I checked my Java version (10.0.2), the pane reported that it was outdated:

User uploaded file

I clicked the Update Now button and some routine was started. At the end, I was asked whether I wanted to remove old Java versions, which I confirmed.

To my big surprise, Java was completely removed from the System Preferences pane. So I decided to re-install Java 10 manually.

As it turned out, Java 10 has been deprecated, so instead, I downloaded Java 11 from Oracle.

I ran the set up routine for Java 11 (twice), but to no avail: no Java was installed on my MacBook Pro.

(In the end I installed jre-10.0.2_osx-x64_bin.dmg from https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase10-4 425482.html, just to have Java 10.0.2 working again.)

So my question is: How to install Java 11 on macOS Mojave?

Java 10.0.2 is installed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), null

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 1:17 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 30, 2018 8:21 PM in response to Hans Elting

Hello Hans Elting,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about Java in macOS Mojave 10.14.

This information is from Oracle, which states: Java and Apple Safari Browser - Oracle

Java and Apple Safari Browser

This article applies to:

• Platform(s): macOS
  • Browser(s) Safari

Safari 12 and above no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for Java applets)

The Java Plugin for web browsers relies on the cross-platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which had been supported by all major web browsers for over a decade. Apple's Safari version 12 and above have dropped support for NPAPI, and therefore Java Plugin do not work on these browsers anymore.

Java applications are offered through web browsers as either a web start application (which do not interact with the browser once they are launched) or as a Java applet (which might interact with the browser). This change does not affect Web Start applications, it only impacts applets.

Developers and System administrators looking for alternative ways to support users of Safari should see this blog regarding Launching Web Start applications.

RELATED INFORMATION

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

How to install Java 11 on macOS 10.14 Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.