Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting JPEG file size become smaller

Good day,

I exported my edited JPEG file, and realised that teh file size became smaller as compare to my original, for e.g. the files size in Photos show me 7MB, the output in finder shows me only 4MB. I have chosen the export format version as original file size and maximum, may I know anything that I did it wrong?

cheers!

OS X El Capitan (10.11), 2.5GHz intel core i5

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 1:57 AM

No, Photos will show you the file size of the original image.

if you get yourself Power Photos, you can get info for the original and the edited image version. Power Photos is a great second browser for your Photos Library. The free trial version will suffice for browsing. You need only the full, paid version, if you want to merge libraries or move albums between libraries.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2018 1:57 AM in response to richard_mak

No, Photos will show you the file size of the original image.

if you get yourself Power Photos, you can get info for the original and the edited image version. Power Photos is a great second browser for your Photos Library. The free trial version will suffice for browsing. You need only the full, paid version, if you want to merge libraries or move albums between libraries.

Oct 28, 2018 10:15 PM in response to richard_mak

That can happen, if the image has been edited, for example, if you cropped or straightened it, or applied adjustment. Photos will have to render a new version of the photo to reflect your edits, and and after editing the JPEG compression might result in a smaller file size, even at maximum quality.

Look at your exported photo while zoomed in on the details. Are you seeing more JPEG artifacts than in the original?

Oct 28, 2018 10:21 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your speedy response as usual, Leonie.

I previously able to see my photo size when i do editing such as crop in Aperture, how do i view this in Photos? I noticed the ‘I - information’ in Photos show me same original size even after i crop, however, in Aperture, i can immediately view the file size when i crop.

Do the Photos has similar way to view the updated size?

cheers!

exporting JPEG file size become smaller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.