Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios update 12.0.1 to 12.1 failed now phone asking for restore. How to save data without having prior backup?

Using My MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14 I tried to update my iphone XS from IOS 12.0.1 to 12.1.

Installation failed eventually stating in itunes 'waiting for iphone...' and that's where it was stuck.

After I tried to power up the phone which showed a black screen it is saying 'support.apple.com/iphone/restore' and is asking to connect to iTunes.

Troubleshooting steps performed:

- Used other cable, rebooted macbook and retried -> same outcome

- Upgrade mac to from Mojave 10.14 to 10.14.1 in order to get latest itunes version, then retried -> same outcome

- I don't have a phone backup hence can't do a phone restore

What options do I have to get my phone working again without losing data?

iPhone XS, iOS 12.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 11:23 AM

Without a backup, you have no options. You have to restore as new.

1 reply

ios update 12.0.1 to 12.1 failed now phone asking for restore. How to save data without having prior backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.