Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand will not record vocals

It’s won’t record through the built in mic or any externals I have. My Mac and GarageBand both recognize there is a mic plugged in. I have checked over all the settings a hundred times, updated, restarted, reinstalled. Nothing seems to work. What’s frustrating is that I record all the time and it was working fine as of two days ago. On a side note other apps record fine so I do know I s GarageBand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 9:16 AM

Peganyee wrote:

It’s won’t record through the built in mic or any externals I have.

there are new security settings in the latest OS that prevent apps from using input devices; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure GB has permission to use your mic (or interface)

here's a screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the internal mic:

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 9:16 AM in response to Peganyee

Peganyee wrote:

It’s won’t record through the built in mic or any externals I have.

there are new security settings in the latest OS that prevent apps from using input devices; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure GB has permission to use your mic (or interface)

here's a screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the internal mic:

User uploaded file

GarageBand will not record vocals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.