Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave FT232R USB UART Driver issues

Upgraded to Mojave 10.14.1 last night.

Running High Sierra or earlier there were no problems detecting USB devices with a FT232R USB UART chipset. (Cyclops Powertap via USB download cradle). After upgrade to Mojave, FT232R USB devices are still detected via System Information but remain inaccessible to the user (can't access them).

Relevant information from System Information:

FT232R USB UART:

Product ID: 0x6001

Vendor ID: 0x0403
(Future Technology Devices International Limited)

Version: 6.00

Serial Number: A700flPQ

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: FTDI

Location ID: 0x14210000 / 9

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 90

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

There are recent manufacturer provided drivers available for this chipset: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and it appears others have reported similar phenomenon at various times and created workarounds;Indigo Domotics Blog

MacOS Sierra does not find USB connection to FTDI

I was going to attempt the following workaround; macos - How to release/reset serial port FTDI devices - Mac OSX - Super User but would rather wait for a supported fix if one is coming.

Has anyone else had any experience with this or advice on how to proceed?
Is this something that will be addressed in 10.14.2 and I should just be patient, or should I assume that Mojave represents the end of USB UART support and I need to downgrade to regain connectivity to my USB UART devices?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), Powertap USB cradle

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 11:42 AM

FWIW, the Apple Signed driver from the FTDI site seems to have resolved the issue; https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm I can now recognize the USB device and download data from it just like before the upgrade. Apparently USB UART support doesn't exist in Mojave. Powertap users, this is your fix...

1 reply

Mojave FT232R USB UART Driver issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.