Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes when adding music

This is a new thing since upgrading to Mojave. At first, I couldn't even get iTunes to launch, but holding the "option" key while launching allowed me to re-select my .itl file. iTunes now launches normally again, but when I try to add music -- either by dragging and dropping the file into iTunes or using the "Add to Library..." in the File menu -- iTunes immediately quits. Very frustrating!

I have tried:

• re-starting
  • rebuilding Disk Permissions
  • creating a fresh .itl file
  • creating a new dummy user account -- same issue
  • updating to 10.14.1

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what else I can try?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 11:32 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 5, 2018 10:48 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply.

All of my media lives on an external drive (I believe it's Apple HFS formatted, but not 100% sure -- I will check when I get home tonight. Remote login with TeamViewer is not working now all of the sudden, too.)

I was also thinking that the external HDD might be the issue, so this is how I tested taking it out of the equation:

• In iTunes Advanced Preferences, I re-assigned the media folder back to the default location on my local drive
  • I took an .m4a song file from the HDD and copied it to my desktop
  • I tried to add that song file from the desktop to iTunes
  • iTunes quits as soon as the song file hovers over the application window (I don't even need to let go of the mouse click. It is immediate.) Same goes when using, "Add to library..." from the File menu.

I find it strange that this also happens on a fresh, new user account. If an issue is happening across accounts, that's usually a pretty bad sign, isn't it?

iTunes crashes when adding music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.