Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music crashes on launch on iMac

My Apple Music crashes every time I try to launch it.

My local files in iTunes play fine, but as soon as I switch over to Apple Music it crashes.

Mostly it crashes right away, but sometimes it hangs for a second before crashing.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm using an iMac running Mojave 10.14.1

My iTunes is 12.9.0.164

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 3:42 AM

It did work when I get up a new user account and signed in to Apple Music.

This makes it likely that something is off with a preference file, or other file specific to the user account the Mac (not the app itself).

Make notes your iTunes Preferences settings, as you may have to set these back manually afterwards.

Try deleting these files. They will be re-created automatically on next launch of the app, free of errors and without initial customization.

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2018 3:42 AM in response to Anders Dahl

It did work when I get up a new user account and signed in to Apple Music.

This makes it likely that something is off with a preference file, or other file specific to the user account the Mac (not the app itself).

Make notes your iTunes Preferences settings, as you may have to set these back manually afterwards.

Try deleting these files. They will be re-created automatically on next launch of the app, free of errors and without initial customization.

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist

Nov 29, 2018 9:26 AM in response to Anders Dahl

Hey Anders Dahl,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I understand that iTunes crashes on your iMac if you try to listen to Apple Music. I want all your Apple applications to work as they should on your MacBook and I have some information to help narrow down this issue and get resolved. The first step we can try is to see if this occurs if you boot your Mac into safe mode.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Additionally, we'll want to test and see if this is a user account issue or system wide. To do this, we'll test adding attachments from a new user account. The steps for this are in the following link.
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Let us know the results of trying these two steps.
Take care.

Dec 13, 2018 9:47 PM in response to CarlosP1228

Thank Carlos,

I got a bit closer, but no cigar.

I tried Safe Mode and it didn't help at all.

But it did work when I get up a new user account sand signed in to Apple Music.

• I've removed all automatic log ins on start up.
  • iTunes Store works, but both Apple Radio and Apple Music quits as soon as I try launching them.
  • Apple Music works on my iPad, iPhone and my work iMac (not using Mojave)

Apple Music crashes on launch on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.