Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Replacement stopped working after 12.1 update

My text replacement stopped working after the 12.1 update. I could still see my saved phrases in my keyboard settings. Any tips?

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 12:08 AM

40 replies

Nov 5, 2018 8:46 AM in response to Cruzster1

Hello Cruzster 1,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand from your post. since updating to iOS 12.0.1, text replacement has stopped working for you. There is another thread that was started and provides very good information on how to get it back.
Check this out from jtown913: Upgraded to IOS 11 & Text Replacement Not Syncing!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers!

Nov 10, 2018 6:23 AM in response to Cruzster1

It's important to let Apple know there's a problem. (This is a user-to-user forum, so these messages aren't likely to be seen by the people who can fix it.) Go here: https://apple.com/feedback/ ... and submit this as a bug report. Specify the version of iOS you're using, in case this doesn't appear as one of the choices on the pull-down menu. Provide as much detail as you can.

You can also contact Apple Support for help. Sometimes the support rep can walk you through some steps that will solve the problem.

Nov 7, 2018 6:37 AM in response to CWhitbeck

I’ve exact same issue. Since I’ve upgraded to 12.1 text replacement does not work. All shortcuts and phrases are there. I can even create new ones. But when typing shortcuts it doesn’t recognize phrase attached to it. It’s just like the function is off. Tried all tips available online and here on Apple discussion forum.

Nov 7, 2018 7:06 AM in response to Zmoghal

So last night I tried an “Erase All Contents and Settings” and an iCloud restore with no luck. So I decided to take it a step further and downloaded a copy of iOS 12.0.1 to my computer and did a restore to the prior version of iOS. With the prior iOS on my phone I restored an older iCloud backup (prior to the 12.1 upgrade) and I am now back in business - shortcuts are working again. It is clearly an issue with iOS 12.1.

Nov 10, 2018 5:00 AM in response to Cruzster1

Count me in as well for this problem. Since updating to iOS 12.1, all my text replacement shortcuts still appear intact in the Keyboard settings menu but none of them can be used when I actually try using the shortcuts. I've already tried hard resetting, deleting/re-adding the shortcuts, toggling on/off keyboard settings, etc... Nothing has restored the functionality of my text replacement shortcuts. Apple please fix this!

Nov 13, 2018 10:31 AM in response to fastforwardgirl

I have sent Apple a message about our apparent concerns over text replacement issues. The feature provides significant benefits to our personal, educational, and professional livelihoods, so I am sure that Apple will resolve the matter quickly. Although it has been more than a week since the text replacement features failed, I will continue to be patient. Good luck everyone! 🙂

Nov 13, 2018 10:13 PM in response to drummerman951

I found an answer to the 12.1 or 12.01 or whatever text replacement issue that I upgraded on Nov 12 2018. I think somewhere along the line someone shortened the length of the amount of characters we’re aloud to use. When I went and shortened and in some cases cut my text replacements in half they worked. For example one of my replacements I named ‘zz’= “Hello its Scott from Scooters. On the road but can give you a quick estimate. We are very happy to help😀”. The second part I had to name something different so I named it ‘Zz2’ which says the other half of the original. “Please tell me how many areas you plan on cleaning (bedrooms, hallways, stairs ect,) oh and Whereabouts are you located?” So one ez shortcut became two but works great and I’m back in business. I can text the first shortcut followed by the 2nd all it one text and still send full Text replacement I originally wanted to send. Sooo from the Hello it’s Scott.. to the ...happy to help😄 seems to be just around the max character count for one text replacement. Not sure how many character count that is. I hope apple changes it back but by then I personally wont absolutely need or know if they did. Good luck all business owners especially. Lost some dough myself today. Confidencapple to fix. Goooo Appple goo

Nov 13, 2018 10:21 PM in response to CarlosP1228

I found an answer to the 12.1 or 12.01 or whatever text replacement issue that I upgraded on Nov 12 2018. I think somewhere along the line someone shortened the length of the amount of characters we’re aloud to use. When I went and shortened and in some cases cut my text replacements in half they worked. For example one of my replacements I named ‘zz’= “Hello its Scott from Scooters. On the road but can give you a quick estimate. We are very happy to help😀”. The second part I had to name something different so I named it ‘Zz2’ which says the other half of the original. “Please tell me how many areas you plan on cleaning (bedrooms, hallways, stairs ect,) oh and Whereabouts are you located?” So one ez shortcut became two but works great and I’m back in business. I can text the first shortcut followed by the 2nd all it one text and still send full Text replacement I originally wanted to send. Sooo from the Hello it’s Scott.. to the ...happy to help😄 seems to be just around the max character count for one text replacement. Not sure how many character count that is. I hope apple changes it back but by then I personally wont absolutely need or know if they did. Good luck all business owners especially. Lost some dough myself today. Confidencapple to fix. Goooo Appple goo

Nov 13, 2018 10:26 PM in response to Ghim21

Text Replacement stopped working after 12.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.