Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add external drive Photo Library to iCloud

I am currently using icloud to backup and store my photo library. I also have an external drive filled with older photos (these photos are not on my current computer so they are not currently syncing with icloud). I took them off my computer and loaded them onto the hard drive in an effort to save space on my computer. These old photos are in a separate iphoto library on the external drive. I would like to add these photos to the cloud so that they are backed up and accessible. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this happen?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 12:17 PM

Thank you for your reply! I have an entire photo library, containing thousands of photos, that I would like to import (add to icloud). Also, there is not room on my current computer for all of the files in their full size. I am hopeful that somehow, once they are uploaded, I will be able to view them in the optimized form (with the full size images being in the cloud). Basically I want to add them to my current photo library (in the cloud) but without physically putting them on my hard drive first. Does that make sense?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2018 12:17 PM in response to tygb

Thank you for your reply! I have an entire photo library, containing thousands of photos, that I would like to import (add to icloud). Also, there is not room on my current computer for all of the files in their full size. I am hopeful that somehow, once they are uploaded, I will be able to view them in the optimized form (with the full size images being in the cloud). Basically I want to add them to my current photo library (in the cloud) but without physically putting them on my hard drive first. Does that make sense?

Nov 4, 2018 12:11 PM in response to kfordwhite

If you have photos or videos saved on a hard disk or other storage device, you can import them into Photos.

Tip: If you want, you can first create a new empty album in the sidebar and then import your photos into it.

You can import photos or video files from a storage device (such as a hard disk)

1. Connect the device to your Mac.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Drag files or folders from the Finder to the Photos window.
    • Drag files or folders from the Finder to the Photos icon in the Dock.
    • In Photos, choose File > Import. Select the photos or videos you want and click Review for Import. If you selected multiple photos or videos, select the ones you want to import and click Import [number] Selected or Import All New Photos.Important: Don’t eject a disc or drive while the photos are being imported.

Add external drive Photo Library to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.