Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mojave bluetooth issues

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) running MacOS Mojave 10.14. About two weeks ago it started to have intermittent Bluetooth problems. Specifically, Bluetooth would just stop working. The Apple Mouse, Apple Trackpad and Fitbit Connect application would all disconnect at the same time. If I waited long enough, Bluetooth would sometimes reconnect on its own. However, it usually took a computer restart to get it working again.

I tried removing all the preference files associated with Bluetooth, but that did not change anything. I tried using the Shift+Option key and clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and both reset the Bluetooth module and factory reset all the connected devices. Again, those did not change anything. Yesterday, I updated to MacOS Mojave 10.14.1. Unfortunately, that did not change anything either.

I sure would like Apple to fix this problem. But, in the meantime, back to a wired mouse...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 4:25 AM

Sometimes resetting the SMC can help How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see the tips here If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working as expected - Apple Support Interference from another device is often overlooked.

26 replies

Dec 16, 2018 7:21 AM in response to SeaPapp

I now tried to delete the Android app, but it still freezed for few seconds after (my) nap. True I did not restarted the mac as it was finishing something.

It behaves as if the bluetooth goes into a kind of saveenergy/sleep mode and have trouble to wake up, In fact it happens usually in two cases:

• when I try to restart working after some time (and as the screen is dark only way is to push on button to discover the BT does not work)
  • after few minutes of work.

I was also wondering if it is fault of VmWare fusion (I have use of virtual machines), but cannot find reference in this regards.

I will check what happens in the next 24 hours after a restart to see if it was android, then I would start the Handoff.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2018 1:22 PM in response to paddster7

I might have find a new solution.

When I said hereunder that I had the feeling it was as if BT was going to sleep I checked my energy saving options. In fact I did because I noted that when the screen was off the entire machine was pausing (stopping some copy job in a virtual machine).

So I ticked the option to prevent Mac to stop just because the screen went off. See pick, it's in Italian but the position of the option is the same in every language.

Since yesterday I had no problem, while simply removing the Android FT did not solved completely (I had a BT short blackout once) NB: I still have to reboot the machine, so restarting after changes is not related in my case.

If this stabilize I will try reinstalling Android FT and see.

Nov 8, 2018 10:20 AM in response to SeaPapp

Though there is nothing in the System Management Controller (SMC) information that would suggest it controls Bluetooth, I did reset the SMC, just in case. Unfortunately, there was no change.

Regarding the interference possibility, that is a good suggestion. But, I have had the same configuration of interference-generating devices around this iMac for a long time with no issues. The Bluetooth disconnects only started after updating to MacOS Mojave 10.14. Still, I did shut all electronics off around the computer so that only the computer, mouse and keyboard were powered to see if it made a difference. Sadly, there was no improvement.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dec 16, 2018 3:24 AM in response to paddster7

10.14.2 and the problem is still there. I hardly work now...

I also tried to remove the com.apple.bluetooth.plist as suggest in another discussion forum, but after a while the problem persisted.

I am considering to reset to high sierra, luckilly my new imac was delivered it so I can do it easily but with the hassle of backing up everything manually and reinstall everything... :(-

Dec 16, 2018 5:09 AM in response to fabio-bxl

Sorry to hear your problem persists. I guess I should count myself as one of the lucky ones as I haven't seen this issue on my i ac but I use a wired keyboard, the bluetooth mouse is my only wireless device. In another thread a user found that if he turned off Handoff in system preferences his blietooth problems were solved. I've suggested that to a couple other users but it didn't fix their problem, you might try that.

Jan 10, 2019 5:04 PM in response to fabio-bxl

I have had 4 calls with Apple support, and have had my calls escalated up at least one level. This solution, turning on "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off," seems to have solved my problem. (The issue with Android did not apply to my case.) After several times per day disconnections, and twice having Bluetooth being unavailable, I have had two successful days with no interruptions. So thank you for the help.

Jan 22, 2019 7:45 PM in response to kevinfromlittleton

I have had 5 calls with Apple support, and have had my calls escalated up at least one level. None of their recommended actions have solved the problem, and the higher level support tech who told me he "owns" my problem has failed to return calls. But I have found a few things that, in combination, have reduced the frequency of problems probably 95%, have stopped (so far) the problem of bluetooth being "not available," and have stopped the need for restarts.

So for what it is worth, I suggest: (1) Buy a basic wired mouse and plug it into a USB port. You get get an Amazon basics mouse for a few bucks. That gives you some usability even when keyboard and wireless mouse get disconnected (2) in System Preferences/Energy Saver put a check mark beside "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically..." I have no idea why this should have any impact, but my most recent support rep told me about a problem like ours that was helped by doing this. This seems to have eliminated almost but not quite all instances of bluetooth problems. (3) When the mouse and/or keyboard get disconnected, I power off the mouse for a few seconds, then power it back on. Most of the time the result is that both bluetooth devices get reconnected within a minute. (4) If that doesn't work I turn bluetooth off. Sometimes the command to do this is not instantly responsive. I have had to wait a minute or a bit more for it to be responsive. But when it does finally work I then turn bluetooth back on and both the mouse and keyboard reconnect immediately.

I hope these steps help. Good luck

Jan 26, 2019 8:29 AM in response to David Crandon

I bought a brand new iMac Retina 27" in November and experienced this problem from day one. I must have spent about 10 hours on the phone to Apple support. I even went through the hassle of having the iMac replaced - but it made no difference. I have read online that some people have had various parts replaced (blue tooth module, motherboard etc) without success.

Like the previous poster my call was escalated to a senior technician (on numerous occasions) who would "own" the problem - unfortunately after the escalation it was very difficult to speak to the same person again. Eventually one of the senior technicians supplied me with a diagnostic tool which I used to upload some information (log files, dump of system settings etc.) to Apple. I managed to speak to a different guy a couple of weeks later and he told me that the logs had been analysed and they confirmed it was a known fault with bluetooth and that Apple were working on a solution. This fix should be in the next release of MacOS (Mojave 10.14.3).

I have downloaded and installed Mojave 10.14.3 and hopefully it includes the fix - so far my iMac has been free of Bluetooth disconnects for 2 hours.

Jan 26, 2019 8:59 AM in response to MarqueeMarq

Finally, some indication that Apple might recognize and be addressing the issue. My fingers are crossed.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you have had the same experience with a senior technician who "owns" your issue. I am disappointed to hear that someone else has had the same experience with those who have told us they are responsible for helping us resolve issues. At a minimum, I don't think it is unreasonable that these case owners would contact customers with whom they have spoken about what is now a known issue.

Feb 19, 2019 8:41 AM in response to MarqueeMarq

I bought a 2018 iMac 27" 5K and I am in the same boat as you. Upgraded to Mojave in the hope that it will be fixed but it seems to happen more often. I am really disappointed as it seems calling Apple or getting parts or the computer replaced does not do much more than wasting our time.

Every solution that was posted online I have tried. Given the randomness of the fault (sometimes after wake up) it suggests it is a software fault (never happened from cold boot and almost never while working). In my system, BT returns spontaneously after a while (one or two minutes).

mojave bluetooth issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.