Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone randomly disabled face ID

I have an iphone XS Max.
I'm aware that the iphone will disable the face ID and require my passcode if:

• The device has just been turned on or restarted.
  • The device hasn’t been unlocked for more than 48 hours.
  • The passcode hasn’t been used to unlock the device in the last six and a half days and Face ID hasn't unlocked the device in the last 4 hours.
  • The device has received a remote lock command.
  • After five unsuccessful attempts to match a face.
  • After initiating power off/Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the side button simultaneously for 2 seconds.
    but my iphone randomly does it at least 2-3 times a week out of nowhere. not after five failed attempts, not after inactivity, etc. just random. I can use it, set it down and two minutes later pick it up and its demanding the passcode to enable face ID again. and it only does it 2-3 times a week so can't be a hardware problem, as it's always do it. it just happens randomly. works fine and then BAM requires password to enable face ID. then works fine for a bit and then bam, happens again. anybody else experiencing this or have an explanation?

Posted on Nov 4, 2018 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 6:08 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, JF~Rebel!

I understand you've noticed your iPhone XS Max frequently prompts you for your passcode, even though you have Face ID enabled. I'd be happy to provide information to help you out.

Attention Aware features may be causing you to be prompted more frequently to enter your passcode: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or later

Turn Attention Aware features on or off

Even if you don’t enroll in Face ID, the TrueDepth camera on iPhone X or later intelligently activates to support attention aware features. For example,

• When you’re looking at your phone, your display will not dim until you stop looking at your device.
  • If you're looking at your device, it will lower the volume sound of your alerts.

If you don’t want to use these features, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and turn off Attention Aware Features.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2018 6:08 AM in response to JF_Rebel__

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, JF~Rebel!

I understand you've noticed your iPhone XS Max frequently prompts you for your passcode, even though you have Face ID enabled. I'd be happy to provide information to help you out.

Attention Aware features may be causing you to be prompted more frequently to enter your passcode: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or later

Turn Attention Aware features on or off

Even if you don’t enroll in Face ID, the TrueDepth camera on iPhone X or later intelligently activates to support attention aware features. For example,

• When you’re looking at your phone, your display will not dim until you stop looking at your device.
  • If you're looking at your device, it will lower the volume sound of your alerts.

If you don’t want to use these features, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and turn off Attention Aware Features.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

iphone randomly disabled face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.