Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X as Acid Replacement?

Hi, I have been using Acid Pro for years and love how solid and quick it is with regards dragging out my own loops of recorded material (not user loops or Apple loops)

I have been on Mac for a while and used Ableton, but wondered if now that Logic Pro X is as good as Acid Pro in the looping and pitching department?

Basically, I want to record audio, and destructively cut this into a Loop, (2, 4, 8, 16, bars) then drag this audio locked to any bpm out on the timeline, but also have key commands for pitching the audio instantly +/-12 semitones, so I can easily audition tracks in the timeline against each other in terms of pitch?

I am not really interested in Apple Loops preferring to use and make my own loops, after years of doing this.

Acid (I use and older version, as the newer ones crashed for me) was brilliant at this and its looping algorithm was very tight, and found it tighter than the countless other DAW's that now do loops.

Logic I find has a deeper fuller mixdown, mixing plug-ins so would love to use Logic, maybe set up as an Acid Style looper, and use MIDI afterwards to finish off with around 20% of MIDI against the loops arrangement?
When I looked previously at Logic, I couldn't find a quick and easy key map/command for simple up and down pitching of whatever was highlighted, and still am not sure on how the destructive audio cutting works (which i am used to and want)

An Acid style template would be great, if indeeed Logic is capable of this?

If not, I suppose I could carry on the long way around, and export old Acid stems into Logic, but this maybe a long winded affair if Logic X can now do all this natively?

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 9:05 AM

Hi pitchfork, you should not expect Logic to be able to replace unique features of another DAW or music-making app. You might have to spend some time to adjust your workflow and / or routines to Logic. Also take note that originally Logic was mostly a MIDI-editing powerhouse, and it remains so to this day. Say, the Environment component allows to integrate and customize it for use with studio hardware. So, on-the-fly audio-tweaking features are not its strong side, I'd say. Especially when it comes to tweaking pitch and tempo. Ableton Live is much better at this (just my opinion, though).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 9:05 AM in response to pitchfork

Hi pitchfork, you should not expect Logic to be able to replace unique features of another DAW or music-making app. You might have to spend some time to adjust your workflow and / or routines to Logic. Also take note that originally Logic was mostly a MIDI-editing powerhouse, and it remains so to this day. Say, the Environment component allows to integrate and customize it for use with studio hardware. So, on-the-fly audio-tweaking features are not its strong side, I'd say. Especially when it comes to tweaking pitch and tempo. Ableton Live is much better at this (just my opinion, though).

Logic Pro X as Acid Replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.