Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro boot issues

My model A1502 Macbookpro only boots up to the disk utility menu after restarting in internet recovery or normal recovery mode, if I try and start it normally I get the flashing ? folder. In disk utilities it only shows osx base system and disk0 says it only has 1.3 gig memory, there is no other space showing on the 128g drive, when I try the following nothing works, cannot start in verbose, single user, or normally, cannot format, erase, or repair the disk in utilities or using terminal, cannot restore from my time machine backup, it cannot find a disk to restore too, have reset it at least 10 times in internet recovery mode, so would I be correct in assuming my ssd is bad?

os maverick 10.10.5

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2018 10:47 AM

MacOS Base System of about 2GB in size is likely Internet Recovery startup. It is Read Only (in your Mac's ROM after about 2012 MacBook Pro)

MacOS Base System of over 5GB in size could also be a downloaded disk Image of an incoming MacOS Install, but it is not likely to appear in this situation.

Make certain you have not defaulted to the completely-useless Volume-View"

User uploaded file

But are actually using Device View, with Hardware-names showing:

User uploaded file

"A drive that will not tell Disk Utility its Make&Model (Hardware-name in Device View) and a reasonable non-Zero size/capacity has died, and unless it has cabling or power problems, it cannot be repaired, initialized, or used in it current state."

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2018 10:47 AM in response to jar012121

MacOS Base System of about 2GB in size is likely Internet Recovery startup. It is Read Only (in your Mac's ROM after about 2012 MacBook Pro)

MacOS Base System of over 5GB in size could also be a downloaded disk Image of an incoming MacOS Install, but it is not likely to appear in this situation.

Make certain you have not defaulted to the completely-useless Volume-View"

User uploaded file

But are actually using Device View, with Hardware-names showing:

User uploaded file

"A drive that will not tell Disk Utility its Make&Model (Hardware-name in Device View) and a reasonable non-Zero size/capacity has died, and unless it has cabling or power problems, it cannot be repaired, initialized, or used in it current state."

Macbook Pro boot issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.