Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I do a restore or change phones with an eSIM?

What happens if I do a restore or change phones with an eSIM? Is the SIM restored to iCloud? Is it impacted by the erase and restore? Can I set the phone up with an eSIM from the start? I can 't seem to find answers to any of these question in the support docs.

Posted on Nov 6, 2018 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 10:09 AM

I have just came from an Apple store having just have my iPhone XS Max replaced due to a fault from factory. I also had an E-SIM and basically if you are restoring your device the E-SIM will not be affected, just like your physical SIM.

New devices however like in my situation, you will need to go to your carrier and request a new E-SIM QR code for the number you had on the previous device.

Only took 5 mins with EE, just make sure to have photo ID and knowing this information will make it a whole lot easier if you are expecting to have a device replaced.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2018 10:09 AM in response to drewpost

I have just came from an Apple store having just have my iPhone XS Max replaced due to a fault from factory. I also had an E-SIM and basically if you are restoring your device the E-SIM will not be affected, just like your physical SIM.

New devices however like in my situation, you will need to go to your carrier and request a new E-SIM QR code for the number you had on the previous device.

Only took 5 mins with EE, just make sure to have photo ID and knowing this information will make it a whole lot easier if you are expecting to have a device replaced.

Dec 23, 2018 8:50 AM in response to DeanCW

i have an iPhone XS with an AT&T eSIM. In order to troubleshoot a 3rd party SIM for CDMA access, I recently attempted to reset cellular accounts through all available options; reset network settings, remove all cellular plans, erase all content. Some attempts to restore my AT&T eSIM required scanning the eSIM barcode so hold on to that. After the complete erase, however, the eSIM oddly remained and didn’t require the barcode to re-activate the account.

Nov 22, 2018 3:22 AM in response to drewpost

I've been having the same question too. I ensured myself that, technically, the eSIM stored its data on a small piece of the circuit, separated from iphone main storage. So restoring the phone shouldn't have effect on eSIM.
After restoring the new phone, the one with eSIM, with the previous backup from iTunes. eSIM still there.

To answer your question, Restore phone wouldn't have effect on eSIM but I'm not sure that erase content and all settings option would erase eSIM or not.

What happens if I do a restore or change phones with an eSIM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.