Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with VPN

We have a server (mac mini) running macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) and Server 5.3.1. The server is set up primarily as a File Share. It has an external static IP (and domain name) plus an internal network over Wi-Fi that computers in the office use to connect to the file share so they can use SMB and AFP.

I wanted to set up a VPN connection so that outside users could also access the file share using SMB instead of AFP for the benefit of our Windows users in remote locations (most users are Mac users).

After a lot of research into the matter and following some online guides I have setup the VPN connection. I can remotely connect to the VPN connection but ... then nothing. The logs show that the connection is live but I cannot access any of the shared drives or anything else for that matter.

After trying changing the settings several different times while I can get a VPN connection nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 11:35 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 8, 2018 8:42 AM in response to Rudegar

Thank you that was the kick in the pants that I needed. I had found the two links previously but a second look at the second link from macstadium was the charm. Failed to create the VLAN on the server first.

If you are just trying to connect to the server no need to start the DNS service if you like our company has an external DNS service but you do need the IP number of the VLAN to connect, in my case a SMB connection to shared hard drives.

Thank you very much.

Nov 8, 2018 9:44 AM in response to lederermc

I set up an openvpn on my Mac mini (Mojave). I had to also do the following:

1). sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

2). pfctl -f nat-rules-utun0.txt -e

where nat-rules-utun0.txt contains:

nat on en0 from utun0 to any -> (en0)

3). On my (DSL) router I had to add a static route:

Destination=10.80.0.0. Mask=255.255.255.0 Gateway=192.168.0.5

Note: 10.80.0.1 is my servers "VPN" IP address.

192.168.0.5 is the server's LAN IP address.

utun0 is the vpn network interface.

en0 is my Ethernet network interface.

One problem I have is Bonjour doesn't work across subnets. So I have to use

IP address to mount drives and LAN web server. smb://FRED@192.168.0.5/MyServerDrive

which mean I have to set up static IP address on my LAN for the servers.

Problems with VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.