Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't iCloud preference pane show toggle for Messages?

I had to erase my MacBook Pro's internal flash drive and restore everything from a Time Machine backup. Now I can't seem to find a "switch" in System Preferences > iCloud for Messages. Is this normal? The Messages app, however, does show "Enable Messages in iCloud" under the "iMessage" tab in Preferences, yet message sync does appear to be working.

I've tried logging out of iCloud and then logging in again, to no avail.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1), 2.8 Ghz, 1TB SSD

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 8:27 AM

2 replies

Nov 9, 2018 12:17 PM in response to odysseus

Hi,

As stated it is normal.

Technically Messages is not an iCloud app.

It does not appear in System Preferences > iCloud or on the web page Login for your iCloud account.

iMessages iCloud syncing is only a pass through set up.

Logging out of iCloud will block the Syncing if set up but it will not stop iMessages working as the iMessages servers are standalone ones. The standard "Display On All Devices" that iMessages used before is still in operation and you should still see all iMessages on all devices.

It is the "delete on All" that the iCloud syncing gives you that is then "broken".

User uploaded file

8:17 pm Friday; November 9, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 MacBookPro 15" 2016 (High Sierra 10.13.x)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Why doesn't iCloud preference pane show toggle for Messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.