Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp getting stuck at Windows Setup

Hi, Im using a MacBook Pro late 2014 running Sierra and not able to get windows 10 to install with BC Assistant on USB drive (16GB). Setting up the USB drive is fine, Ive allocated a 70GB partition for BC, but when Windows Set up starts after the mac reboots, I get the following error when I try to install Win 10 on the BC partition : Set up was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume doesn't contain the required free space".

In windows set up there are 4 volumes, all labeled as Primary except the first, an EFI labeled as system. This volume is 200.0 MB and has only 2 MB free space ( I think this may be the problem). I have read how this problem can be solved by reformatting (from windows set up) the EFI volume. What concerns me is whether this action is also reformatting my Mac EFI volume, which I think will cause my mac to no longer boot in OS X. Perhaps the EFI shown in Windows set up is a Windows EFI, separate from my Mac EFI. Im not sure.

Has anybody experienced this problem and how did you fix it?

thanks,

dan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 2:54 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Nov 9, 2018 3:09 PM in response to sakols

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468How to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp

Can APFS be used with Time Machine, Boot Camp, and File Vault?

Installing Windows with Boot Camp

Below are several links to Apple support articles about installing Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp. Please read them carefully before embarking on your effort to run Windows on a Mac.

Your formatting observation is incorrect. The Windows formatter is confusing you between the Mac partition and the Windows partition. Be sure to note the name of the Windows volume you created and look for it in the Windows formatter. That is what you format - nothing else - and it should be formatted NTFS.

Nov 9, 2018 5:31 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your help Kappy.

I formatted the only partition that matched the size of the BC partition I made. Here is a screen shot of the set up screen on my MacBook pro., with the error below when I tried to install windows into partition 4. I suspicious about partition 1, which is labeled as a system partition, and is full. It seem this is what set up is complaining about in the error description, which says the SYSTEM partition (partition 1?) doesn't have enough free space.

User uploaded file

Nov 12, 2018 11:32 AM in response to Loner T

FIXED

Hi, I did run diskutil repair disk, and it said it added some windows file (I think because of the BC partition), but when I mounted the EFI, it was still full (only 2MB free space) I went ahead and deleted the cache folder, which freed up 170MB in the EFI partition, crossed my fingers the mac would still boot up, and it did. Then I went through the BC Windows set up and had no problem getting Windows to install after formatting the BC partition. The problem was there was no room on the EFI for certain windows system files that need to be installed there.

Nov 9, 2018 3:36 PM in response to Kappy

Im installing BC on my MacBook pro internal SSD ( It should work, ive done it before). I follow all the regular steps to set up the USB installer using BC Assistant. With the USB installer, the mac boots into Windows setup, and I format the BC partition in windows set up. THEN, I get this error: "Set up was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume doesn't contain the required free space", and windows does not install on the BC partition.

This is the reason Im asking questions about the EFI, partition, as this windows error suggests there is not enough free space in the EFI SYSTEM partition to allow Windows to install. On the web there was an article about reformatting the EFI SYSTEM partition to solve this problem, and allow windows to install on the NTSF partition you allocate with the BC Assistant.

thanks

Nov 9, 2018 3:45 PM in response to sakols

No, it has nothing to do with the EFI which is part of macOS. It won't confuse Windows because it's formatted using MBR. It is also empty since macOS does not use it.

I don't know what your problem is since 70GBs is adequate for a Windows installation, I think. Are you sure you formatted the Windows C:> volume and not something else? The Windows formatter shows everything making the right choice confusing. Windows does not use an EFI, so it doesn't need any attention.

Nov 10, 2018 10:19 AM in response to Loner T

Right!

So Windows does need to put some stuff in that EFI partition, and in my case its stuffed full with no room to spare. I recently did a clean install of the OS, but formatted the OS partition not the entire drive (I think this was a mistake) so that may explain the "clutter" in my EFI.

The question now: can I delete the contents of the EFI? I read that the OS will repopulate whatever it needs in there,, but Im not sure. Does anybody know what happens if you clear the EFI? Will it prevent to mac from booting up?

Nov 11, 2018 5:49 AM in response to sakols

sakols wrote:

The question now: can I delete the contents of the EFI? I read that the OS will repopulate whatever it needs in there,, but Im not sure. Does anybody know what happens if you clear the EFI? Will it prevent to mac from booting up?

Do not delete the contents of the EFI partition. Can you run

diskutil repairDisk disk0

Bootcamp getting stuck at Windows Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.