Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just got my ipad pro 11, wifi issues with usb c headphone adapter?

My wife and I just upgraded to the ipad pro 11 inch model and we've noticed some unusual wifi connection activity. Some apps like youtube, pinterest, and even safari will say "unable to connect" or "lost connection with network", etc. This ONLY happens when we're using headphones connected with the usb-c adapter we got from Apple! Please help, is anyone else experiencing issues like this? It couldn't be just us...as it's happening on BOTH our ipads. Our iphones and every other device do NOT have any issues with wifi connection.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2018 10:19 AM

Hello all. Just a reaction back while it is not my thread. I have had contact with Apple about this problem. Later I was called back by an Apple engineer. I have discussed the problem and they are working on it. Just for the sake of clarity, this kind of problem / bug just happens. I understand that it's frustrating, I'm also bothered by it, but Apple knows about it and they're working on it.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2018 10:19 AM in response to bend2197

Hello all. Just a reaction back while it is not my thread. I have had contact with Apple about this problem. Later I was called back by an Apple engineer. I have discussed the problem and they are working on it. Just for the sake of clarity, this kind of problem / bug just happens. I understand that it's frustrating, I'm also bothered by it, but Apple knows about it and they're working on it.

Nov 15, 2018 5:10 PM in response to bend2197

I’m having the same issue on my 11” Pro purchased today. I have experienced two network dropouts. When it happens I try to disable WiFi but the shell icon stays in the corner until I reboot the iPad. I have been using it exclusively with the headphone adapter plugged in. I guess I could try using it for a while without the adapter connected. I hadn’t thought of the correlation between the two.

Nov 15, 2018 9:47 PM in response to bend2197

I have the same problem on my new iPad Pro 11. I have an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter plugged in. The Wi-Fi on the iPad stops working seemingly at random times. I have had luck getting the Wi-Fi reconnected by restarting the iPad or unplugging the USB-C adapter. This seems to be an unworkable situation for a brand new $800 iPad.

Today, I discovered a trick that fixes this problem the last two times this problem occurred. Go to YouTube and search for "Fix for MACBOOK PRO WIFI FAILURE with USB Dongle". This person posting this video uses a piece of aluminum foil to wrap the cable. Not sure exactly why this works but it has worked for me. As soon as I wrap the cable with aluminum foil (changing nothing else), the Wi-Fi connection came back. I will returning the current USB-C adapter for a new one in hopes of better shielding and results but this appears to be a more serious problem with recent Apple products and USB-C adapters taking out the Wi-Fi connection.

Nov 17, 2018 7:58 PM in response to bend2197

I created a thread before I saw this one. Exact same issue with iPad Pro 11" and the USBC to 3.5mm adapter where the wifi appears connected but I have no network connectivity! Happens overnight for me when I leave it plugged in but has also happened randomly during the day.

Also it seems like the battery is draining a LOT quicker with the headphone adapter in 24/7. Turned off siri listening, true tone, and every bg app refresh option with the brightness down as low as is comfortable for me. It even drains faster than my 5 year old iPadAir1 with the brightness all the way up playing Clash of Clans for hours.

Nov 19, 2018 9:35 AM in response to bend2197

I have the same problem on iPad Pro 12.9. WiFi disconnects when screen is locked with the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle connected with or without a headphone connected to the other end of the dongle. WiFi and cellular connection is completely lost once that happens. None of the usual methods like disabling and enabling WiFi/Airplane mode/Forget network etc work. The only way to get the connectivity back is to remove the 3.5mm adaptor wait for few seconds and connect it back or restart the device.

Nov 19, 2018 10:28 AM in response to bend2197

Anyone else considering returning their iPad Pro over this issue? If this is a signaling/shielding problem with the USB-C port itself; we may be waiting quite a long time for Apple to “fix” it. Examples of this would be MBP GPU failures, iPhone touch/battery issues on 6 series, etc. Apple often takes years to admit to these wide scale hardware issues and establish a method of repair/replacement. Possibly it would be smarter for me at least to wait for the second generation Apple USB-C iOS device.

I appreciate that Apple Engineering is supposedly looking into it; but sadly I’ve heard this before in my 30 years of buying Apple products.

It’s super annoying to be in this position. But I would kind of like my $1000 iPad Pro to be fully functional. Especially when only using it with Apple brand peripherals! I don’t even want to be using this stupid dongle; and would not need to if they hadn’t removed the headphone jack. As a experimental workaround; I tried connecting my headphones to the Apple multiport adapter with a generic usb audio dongle connected to that. For some reason it sent outrageously high volume - like 2x max volume...i could hear it from a foot away - to my earbuds and blew them out (luckily I wasn’t wearing them at the time). So now I’m out my Sennheisers to boot. Not blaming Apple for my experiment; but I wouldn’t have had to experiment if they hadn’t put me in this position!

I’m a long time Apple guy...but this is really getting in ridiculous. Would some tester at Apple not have been assigned to use their new iPad with their new audio dongle before release? Are ALL the testers wearing wireless Beats?

I switched back to my old iPad Air 2 for a while last night. It was such a pleasure to just plug my (spare) headphones into the headphone jack and not worry about network issues or having my eardrums explode.

I’m sick of being a beta tester for premium products.

Sorry for the rant.

Nov 19, 2018 4:43 PM in response to bend2197

I returned the Apple USB-C adapter for a new one... same problem. I reset the iPad to factory settings... same problem. I returned the iPad Pro 11 for a new one... same problem. The Apple Store employee at Apple Cupertino Headquarters logged the problem and told me that the returned iPad will go to an Apple developer for analysis.

I will not hold my breath for a fix anytime soon. Perhaps Apple is trying to push its wired headphone users to buy new wireless AirPods?

Nov 22, 2018 9:50 AM in response to Rasortron

Same issue here.

Under Cook, Apple Devices no longer “just work”. They charge a luxury price and frankly, are not delivering a luxury experience. Am I to believe that they actually tested this dongle in their labs before release And found no problems? Or am I to believe that they never bothered to test it?

Under Cook, the “supply chain” guy, I am inclined to believe the latter.

Nov 22, 2018 10:09 PM in response to prosb6

It had nothing to do with sleep/wake for me. I would just be in the middle of browsing or watching a streamed video or just changing apps and poof....no network. The WiFi was still lit like it was connected but no data moves. Unplug dongle for 10 seconds or so and the page loads or video starts. Then you can replug and continue working.

It’s random.

Nov 29, 2018 12:59 PM in response to dank0419

Yeah, sorry for the delay, I was going to update after speaking to Apple...but I haven't had the chance to call them back. I'm still having the same issues but not as frequent. It's a minor annoyance at best, and is always quick to fix...just pull the headphones out, wait a few seconds then re-connect.

It's still pretty sad that they didn't find this little problem in their QC and if they did and rolled it out anyway, that's pretty low-ball. I hope there's a fix soon or if it's a cable shielding problem, maybe replace the adapter free for those that purchased one.

Just got my ipad pro 11, wifi issues with usb c headphone adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.