Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband won't record vocals (I've tried everything!)

Garageband won't record vocals.

I've checked my audio input/output for garageband and apple (system preferences) and all are selected as yeti stereo (I use a blue yeti usb microphone). I use an adapter to connect usb to thunderbolt and I thought maybe there was a problem with the adapter but it works just fine with other things. I thought maybe it was the actual mic but tried it on another recording app and it works just fine. I don't think it's my macbook because it recognizes sound on the input level indicator. I did recently update to Mojave but I don't know if that should have changed anything. Please help, I'm so frustrated and I don't know what else to do.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2018 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 10:28 AM

ihatebroccoli wrote:

Garageband won't record vocals.[...] I did recently update to Mojave but I don't know if that should have changed anything.

it (mojave) did.

there are new security settings in the latest OS to prevent apps from secretly using input devices; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure that GB has permission to use your interface/mic.

here's a screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the internal mic:

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2018 10:28 AM in response to ihatebroccoli

ihatebroccoli wrote:

Garageband won't record vocals.[...] I did recently update to Mojave but I don't know if that should have changed anything.

it (mojave) did.

there are new security settings in the latest OS to prevent apps from secretly using input devices; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure that GB has permission to use your interface/mic.

here's a screen shot from another user showing permission being given to the internal mic:

User uploaded file

Garageband won't record vocals (I've tried everything!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.