Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing photos from a time capsule to an external hard drive

Hello All,

I have two time capsules that I have photos backed up on. I would like to take all the photos off the two time capsules and my imac and import them onto a external hard drive. When that part is done I would like to use my imac to access all those photos from the external hard drive.

Is this easily doable?

Thanks a million

Matt

IMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 8:04 AM

I have two time capsules that I have photos backed up on.

Are these backups Time Machine backups of your Photos Library? If the photos are part of a Time Machine backup, you need to enter Time Machine and restore the Photos Libraries from the backup to your external drive. See: Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files - Apple Support

To move your current Photos Library to an external drive simply drag it to this drive. But any drive you are using with a Photos Library needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2018 8:04 AM in response to Tuer

I have two time capsules that I have photos backed up on.

Are these backups Time Machine backups of your Photos Library? If the photos are part of a Time Machine backup, you need to enter Time Machine and restore the Photos Libraries from the backup to your external drive. See: Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files - Apple Support

To move your current Photos Library to an external drive simply drag it to this drive. But any drive you are using with a Photos Library needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 10, 2018 1:16 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

When you mention the backups are time machine backups I would says no. But also will mention that 1 of the time capsules is full and i only use it as a router for my garage and only access any files by going through finder as time machine can't seem to find the files going in that way. The second time capsule I use time machine to access files. Not sure if I can get files onto external drive quicker that way or not.

Matt

Removing photos from a time capsule to an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.