Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install some apps on Watch Series 4

I just got a Watch Series 4 and I have an iPhone 6 Plus. I was able to install some apps on the watch, but others never make it, they'll spin for a while, then the circle will begin to fill, and I can see the app's icon on the watch filling up, but when it gets near the end it just disappears. Things I've tried:

* Restarting both devices.

* Uninstalling/Reinstalling the watch app from the phone.

* Unpairing/Re-pairing the watch.

* Resetting the phone.

* Resetting the phone without using a backup.

Any other ideas?

Watch Series 4 (GPS) Alum 44mm, watchOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2018 11:55 AM

Do you have Watch OS 5.1.1?. I think this update cause the problem.

See the picture below. This is my watch with OS 5.1.1 and Shazam won´t install. the same thing with American Airlines, Strava, Facebook messenger, etc.

User uploaded file

Hope this help.

Similar questions

50 replies

Nov 14, 2018 12:41 AM in response to BunchesOfDonald

I had same problem on Nike edition series 4, with of cause, iPhone 6 Plus. Issue started since I upgraded WatchOS from 5.1 to 5.1.1, and NRC to 5.20 at the same time, so I can’t tell what caused the issue.

I tried similar approaches to fix; unpaired, reset as new watch, reset as new phone & in combination, Problem still the same, and have exactly repeated symphom that NRC and a few apps won’t be installed (same list of other feedback), and heartrate measuring during workshop not actively measuring all the time.

Went to see apple’s engineer (waited over 2 hrs), they said, it’s a known issues and will be fixed in next WatchOS release (Most likely 5.1.2). Strange that they are not able to downgrade my WatchOS.... have to wait for new release.

Nov 15, 2018 6:49 PM in response to BunchesOfDonald

I have the same issue

I have a iPhone 6 Plus and it seem the app installation issues came with 5.1.1

I tried everything to sort the issue but no luck. I have even spent close 15 hours with apple support to sort this but no solution. All I am told is that this is a known issue

Tried following

- erased phone and restored

- erased phone and set up as new

- cleared network settings

- changed Apple ID

- unpaired watch and set up as new

- unpaired watch and restored from back up

- deleted all prob apps and reinstalled - signing out of app too

App with issues

Nike run club!

Apple store

Spotify

Evernote

Shazam

Uber

Just eat

tunein radio

Keynote

Starva

Myfitness pal User uploaded file

Nov 19, 2018 4:32 AM in response to Edmurraychi

If you're a Windows user then you still got a change, but I cannot try myself to write a step by step guide. If you're on Linux then you're out of luck.

Windows users can try installing the apps with iTunes (I tried this solution first with High Sierra).

- Download this version of iTunes Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

- If you get an error watch this video, the guy shows that you must replace one outdated file with a newer one in order to launch iTunes successfully (Get the App Store Back in iTunes! - YouTube) - keep in mind that the path the these files might be completely different on Windows, you'll need to find it yourself

- Delete the app you want to install from your iPhone (important)

- In that iTunes will will have the App Store option back, install it from the App store

- Go to the Watch App and install your app to the watch (should work now)

Nov 12, 2018 11:21 AM in response to BunchesOfDonald

I have the same problem with AW iOS 5.1.1

Apps that won’t install are :

- Drafts

- Find near me

- Flipboard

- Gymaholic

- Gymatic

- Komoot

- Messenger

- Shazam

- Stocard

Automatic app installation is activated in settings but after installment of these apps on iphone they remain in “available apps” with the install button next to it that you can click but doesn’t work.

Restarting or resettING iphone and/or apple watch doesn’t work. Reinstalling the apps neither.

Nov 14, 2018 6:46 AM in response to BunchesOfDonald

Same here, iPhone 6 Plus.

I already had other watch to track my exercises but was taken in by the new features of AW4 at launch but turn out it’s not to be after ordering.

My AW4 comes with Nike tie-up and now NRC cannot be installed (other app too but they are not so important as I had bought this AW4 mainly for exercise) after the latest update, or was it caused by the latest iOS update recently (both around 2nd week of November). How ironic!

Tried all the methods that are suggested online to no avail. Let’s hope it will be like one of the user reported here that the next iOS update should solve this problem. I really don’t want to have to upgrade my still functioning phone.

I can’t complian much about the apps as they are mostly free but paying so much for AW4 and iOS updates crippling app installation? Worst is that online searches surfaced similar problems with series 3. I just find them hard to stomach.

Nov 17, 2018 3:29 AM in response to rutchapon

I wouldn't be sure it's an watchOS issue. I did a research of my own on this issue and found something interesting not yet mentioned anywhere. Yes it is related to the combination of devices iPhone 6 Plus (12.1) and Apple Watch Series 4 (5.1.1 or even 5.1.2 beta).

I also contacted Apple Support, but they did not tell me that it's a known thing yet. Long story short, I tried everything with my devices and nothing will help since in the end it's a software bug that only Apple can fix.

For more information please my blog post related to this issue: https://devandartist.com/posts/apps-not-installing-on-the-apple-watch-or-error-1 7

Nov 17, 2018 5:19 AM in response to BunchesOfDonald

I have a iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch 4 and the started with a combination of 12.1 and 5.1. I updated both the same night. I wish I could back off to 12 and 5. I have working with a developer of an Watch app and gave them diagnostic data from a procedure from Apple. The developer has updated the app last night and no luck. The app will not update on the watch. In fact, all apps since the iOS updates are failing. The problem is either 12.1 or the 5.1 variants.

Nov 18, 2018 11:21 AM in response to BunchesOfDonald

Joining the party here.

I have an Apple Watch 4 and I am noticing more and more apps uninstalled on my watch. Is there a fix coming? There are 11 uninstalled including Apple Store. Just so that I’m clear ahead of the usual fix responses. I have gon through every possible turn off/on timing variable possible, unsynced and resynced, force restarted the watch in response to a help technician. None of that worked.

Nov 18, 2018 1:43 PM in response to BunchesOfDonald

Found a better yet a *little* trickier workaround. Spoiler alarm, it works with iTunes as well. I'm currently checking if I can get it to work with Mojave, but it definitely works with High Sierra. I'll post an update in my blog article with all the steps required when I'm done testing. I was successfully able to install Shazam and Spotify on my watch. FINALLY.

Unable to install some apps on Watch Series 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.