Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does a bootable macOS X work on a MacBook powered by Linux?

i recently bought an A1181 MacBook, however it’s powered by Linux. I found a bootable snowleopard macOS X Memory/USB stick online and I’m a bit stuck. If I enter the USB stick into the MacBook, will snow leopard macOS X take over the laptop and delete Linux? If not, what would it do? Please help ☺

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2018 1:07 PM

These are not Linux forums. I suggest you visit Ubuntu.com for help dual-booting Linux and macOS.

If you have a macOS bootable drive then you can boot the computer using it, but Snow Leopard is not able to read or write to Linux formatted disks unless they use MBR/FAT32 formatted disks. If the main drive is formatted EXTn by Linux, then you need to use Linux to reformat the entire drive or create a partition that macOS can use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2018 1:07 PM in response to aaimeemariee

These are not Linux forums. I suggest you visit Ubuntu.com for help dual-booting Linux and macOS.

If you have a macOS bootable drive then you can boot the computer using it, but Snow Leopard is not able to read or write to Linux formatted disks unless they use MBR/FAT32 formatted disks. If the main drive is formatted EXTn by Linux, then you need to use Linux to reformat the entire drive or create a partition that macOS can use.

How does a bootable macOS X work on a MacBook powered by Linux?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.